I remember the first time I read this chapter. I was floored. Serious consequences?? Risk?? What??
I wondered why no one had ever mentioned that essential part when introducing the communion time in church - at least that I could remember. It seems like that would be rather pertinent information! I also recalled times that I'd taken communion before I was a believer, thinking it was no big deal. Gulp.
What you must solemnly realize is that every time you eat this bread and every time you drink this cup, you reenact in your words and actions the death of the Master...You must never let familiarity breed contempt. (11:25-26)
Anyone who eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Master irreverently is like part of the crowd that jeered and spit on him at his death...Examine your motives, test your heart, come to this meal in holy awe. (11:27-28)
If you give no thought (or worse, don't care) about the broken body of the Master when you eat and drink, you're running the risk of serious consequences. That's why so many of you even now are listless and sick, and others have gone to an early grave. (11:29-30)
So, my friends, when you come together to the Lord's Table, be reverent and courteous with one another...It is a spiritual meal - a love feast. (11:33-34)These days, I look forward to the Lord's Supper. I enjoy purposefully remembering Jesus and all He's done for me. But now I also take seriously Paul's admonition to examine my motives before I come. I ask the Holy Spirit to test my ways and reveal my sin to me.
I take seriously his call to be reverent and courteous because after all, this is a love feast. It's me remembering and embracing the incredible love of my Savior, the unfailing love that sent Him to the cross to pay for my sin. And because I still can't get over His willingness to take my punishment, I can come to the Lord's Supper, the love feast, in holy awe.
Greater love has no one than this, that someone lays down his life for his friends. (John 15:13)
By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us (1 John 3:16)
No comments:
Post a Comment