Followers

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

July 17 - 1 Corinthians 9: Measured By Sacrifice

As a teenager, I wasn't sure I wanted to have children. In my own self-centered way, I recognized the sacrifices my mom had made for me and my sisters. She didn't pursue a career and put many of her own goals and desires on the back burner because we needed her. While I was (and am) very grateful for what she did for me, I didn't think I was willing to make such sacrifices. I wanted a fulfilling career and a life of adventure and comfort.

Apparently, I had some insight into my sinful nature long before I became a believer! And I realize that the more things change, the more they stay the same. Wow.

As I struggle daily with the many sacrifices motherhood requires of me, I'm humbled by Paul's motivation behind his sacrifice for the Corinthians and others. He makes it clear that his service to them is in response to the Lord - nothing more, nothing less. Instead of demanding his rights and his way, Paul simply lays it all down for the gospel.
Even though I am free of the demands and expectations of everyone, I have voluntarily become a servant to any and all in order to reach a wide range of people: religious, nonreligious, meticulous moralists, loose-living immoralists, the defeated, the demoralized - whoever. I didn't take on their way of life. I kept my bearings in Christ - but I entered their world and tried to experience things from their point of view...I did this all because of the Message. (9:19-23)
"Spiritual leadership is an opportunity to serve, not to gain recognition. Joy depends on giving, not getting. The legitimacy of leadership is measured by sacrifice." 66 LL 
Sacrifice ~ the destruction or surrender of something for the sake of something else; something given up or lost (merriam-webster.com)
Paul's kind of leadership is what God calls me to in all areas of my life, but especially in motherhood. It's my opportunity to serve and to find joy in giving, in grateful response to all that Jesus has done for me.

This purpose of this important leadership role is not to gain recognition because of the behavior or performance of my children or the appearance of my home. Instead, it's to teach me to sacrifice every bit of my desires and expectations to Him, trusting in His love and faithfulness and believing that He is doing a good work in me.

God continues to show me that my willingness to sacrifice (or lack thereof) is evidence of what's going on in my heart. It pleases my Lord immensely when I choose to surrender my will to His perfect will. Scripture tells me this is how I worship my heavenly Father, by submitting all of me to Him and depending on Him moment by moment.
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. (Psalm 51:17 ESV)
I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. (Romans 12:1 ESV) 

1 comment:

Staci said...

More great insights on the sacrifices God asks in the role of a mom, Cici!

In the Message version, verses 19-23 hit home, " I entered their world and tried to experience things from their point of view." As I try to enter the world of my husband, my teenagers, my friends and family, and the cross-cultural workers we support, the challenge is to be entirely present so that I can experience things from their point of view. Emotionally, mentally, and spiritually to be fully present. This is requiring that I take all my own emotional, mental, and spiritual concerns and sit with them before God so that they do not distract or dominate, but so that they can throw me into greater dependence on the Spirit. Still trying to lean in and understand what all this means.