Followers

Friday, June 8, 2012

June 8 - Acts 26: Real Living

This is how Paul described his life before he chose to follow Christ:
I believed it and took it seriously, committed myself heart and soul to what God promised my ancestors... (Acts 26:5-6)
This is what he says he's living for as a follower of Christ:
...sins forgiven, and a place in the family, inviting [outsiders] into the company of those who begin real living by believing in [Jesus]... I became an obedient believer on the spot. I started preaching this life-change—this radical turn to God and everything it meant in everyday life...  (Acts 26:17-20)
Striking differences between his before and after, but probably not using the same terms that most of us would use to share our testimonies.  Paul did not equate serious belief and high commitment with salvation.  That was his life before Christ.  He describes his life with Christ in terms of forgiven sins, belonging to the family of God, inviting others into real life, and the impact that this radical change meant in his everyday life. 


Challenging.  Here's what's going through my mind and heart as I compare my storytelling to the standard that Paul set:
  • When I describe my life in Christ, do I talk more of right teaching and circumstantial blessings or more of the forgiveness of my sins that deserved death?   
  • Do I speak of spiritual community in terms of how they take care of me during times of need or do I speak of what it means to belong and relate to an imperfect yet redeemed group of people whom I will spend eternity with? 
  • Am I more concerned with inviting outsiders into this real life of suffering and purpose following  a perfect God or do I invite outsiders into a good life where Jesus always comes through as long as you keep up your commitments?
  • Is this radical change truly impacting my everyday life or has life become just pretense and posturing in acceptable Christian ways?

1 comment:

Cici said...

Very thought-provoking, Staci!

Paul believed the right set of facts before he was saved but his life didn't radically change until he met Jesus and gained a place in the family.

This certainly has me thinking about how I understand my new life in Christ and how I share the gospel with my unbelieving friends....