Followers

Friday, June 1, 2012

June 1 - Acts 21: Can't You See That?

When we heard that, we and everyone there that day begged Paul not to be stubborn and persist in going to Jerusalem. But Paul wouldn't budge: "Why all this hysteria? Why do you insist on making a scene and making it even harder for me? You're looking at this backward. The issue in Jerusalem is not what they do to me, whether arrest or murder, but what the Master Jesus does through my obedience. Can't you see that?" (21:12-13)
Agabus' dramatic prophecy scared Paul's friends. They begged him not to go on to Jerusalem because they didn't want anything to happen to him. These believers were legitimately concerned about his safety and had his best interests at heart. But Paul wouldn't budge.
"Does that kind of commitment attract you? It does me. Paul had a sense that his life wasn't up for a vote. He didn't take a poll among his friends to find out whether or not he should do something. He didn't give out evaluation forms to assess the validity of his work. 
"Paul was beyond peer pressure. There was something at the center that took precedence, and that something was God, the living God. 
"I want to live that way, and I want you to live that way. My desire is that this living God would stay at the center of our lives so that the good intentions of our friends won't deflect us from the best intentions of our God." Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 1722
I can think of a handful of times where my decisions caused others to question my good sense and whether I was hearing God correctly. Quitting my successful career in business and going into full-time ministry, having two babies within 13 months, and pursuing international adoption when my youngest was four months old, are a few that come to mind. (Ha!)

But as crazy as those situations seemed to others, like Paul, I was sure of God's calling and couldn't be deterred by the well-meaning suggestions/concerns/comments of others.

I guess it's no surprise that I'm reading this passage today because I'm in one of those seasons again. I'm sensing God's call to something out of the ordinary, something in the crazy category, and frankly, I'm struggling with the decision more than I expected. I've been reluctant to jump in wholeheartedly, which has been puzzling. But God's Word is convicting me that I'm more concerned about what others may think about this new adventure than about God's leading. Yikes.

Obviously, I haven't kept the living God at the center of this decision. His calling has been remarkably clear, but the fear of man has distracted me from the best intentions of my God. I've been looking at this backward. The issue is not what others may think or say, but what the Master Jesus does through my obedience.

Thank You, Lord, for revealing this to me today. I pray You'll give me the courage to obey You with all my heart.

1 comment:

Amanda McKinley said...

I'm very interested to hear what that crazy next thing is for you, Cici, and where God leads you. It is an exciting adventure we are on, for sure!

My observations from this passage are a little random, but here goes. The following verses stood out to me today (see if you can pick up on the theme before I mention it!):

"When it was time to leave, we left and continued on our way. All of them, including wives and children, accompanied us out of the city, and there on the beach we knelt to pray."

"We continued our voyage from Tyre and landed at Ptolemais, where we greeted the brothers and sisters and stayed with them for a day."

"Then Paul answered, "Why are you weeping and breaking my heart? I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.""

"When we arrived at Jerusalem, the brothers and sisters received us warmly." (Acts 21:5, 7, 13, 17 NIV)

What I am challenged by in these verses is the beautiful, loving community of the body of Christ. In each of these occasions, they were coming around and supporting Paul, loving him, and sometimes...clinging to him too tightly even, out of love (perhaps a bit selfish and not God-centered), but still a beautiful picture of the body of Christ coming together to host out of town guests, to serve, to encourage, and to love.

I am saddened by the fact that when I look around at communities of Christians in my church, neighborhood, friendships, family, etc., I do not often see that. Instead, I see back-biting, gossip, arguments, dissension, envy, bitterness, and every other sin that you can think of.

But if we are to point to Jesus, "they will know Me by your love for one another."

Lord Jesus, I am discouraged at times by how our Christ-centered communities aren't loving each other well, nor our neighbors. Yet I know that conflict and difficulties can also draw us into deeper dependence on You. Help me to love and forgive offenses, as Christ has done for me. I pray the same for the communities I am a part of.