Many God-signs were set up among the people, many wonderful things done. (5:12)
Those who put their trust in the Master were added right and left, men and women both. (5:14)
[A]ll were healed. (5:16)
During the night an angel of God opened the jailhouse door and led [the apostles] out. (5:18)At the same time, God used the sudden deaths of Ananias and Sapphira to give the fledgling church a healthy respect for God and to teach them that God was not to be trifled with. (5:11) And the apostles were arrested again for telling people about Jesus, interrogated by the High Council, and whipped as a warning to not speak in Jesus' name.
In some ways, it was a heady time, seeing thousands respond in faith to Jesus and witnessing miraculous signs and wonders. Yet it also had to be a frightening time, knowing they were in the midst of many powerful enemies set on silencing the message of Jesus. These men paid the price with their bodies, enduring persecution for the name of their Lord. And their response?
The apostles went out of the High Council overjoyed because they had been given the honor of being dismissed on account of the Name. Every day they were in the Temple and homes, teaching and preaching Christ Jesus, not letting up for a minute. (5:41-42)Overjoyed, not fearful? Not letting up for a minute instead of keeping a low profile? Wow.
This account makes me realize how little persecution I actually face. I don't have a threat of being physically attacked or arrested because of my faith in Christ. It's much more mild than that. Some people may think I'm a Bible-beater. Others may assume I'm intolerant or boring or intellectually inferior or judgmental because I'm a Christian.
Ironically, I realize that the prospect of rejection or disapproval from certain non-believers has made me timid about sharing my faith, or being very open about what really matters to me or to whom I've surrendered my life. Depending on the group, it can also make me want to prove to them that I'm not those things.
I'm convicted by this example of the apostles, who considered it an honor and a joy to be dismissed on account of Jesus' name. They didn't let people or circumstances dictate whether or not they told others about Jesus or lived out their faith authentically. They only cared what their Father thought about them and lived to please Him, enduring great difficulties with trust and joy.
Lord, I'm challenged as I recognize my major failings in this area. I have been timid with certain friends and acquaintances. I have felt slighted when I've been dismissed or rejected by others because of their perceptions about my faith in You. Help me to consider it an honor to be dismissed on account of Your Name. I pray that You'd give me the faith to trust You in every situation. May I not get bogged down in what others might think of me but remain solely focused on my relationship with You.
1 comment:
Amen to that, Cici!
Along the same lines, I loved these verses, especially:
"We must obey God rather than human beings! Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God."
I love the recognition of the power of God - that His will is unstoppable (even if this is coming from a Jew who does not believe Jesus is the Messiah!).
I want to have that kind of faith - recognizing that if it is God's will, it is unstoppable. But how often do I think mankind is greater than God in affecting outcomes? Why do I not recognize who is really in control?
I have some close family members who are struggling with issues that I can't change nor can anyone else, only God. I don't know what else to do, but pray. It doesn't feel like anything is happening, or even, if God is listening. But I want to trust God in the waiting. He is in control and if it is a period of waiting, it is for a reason. Help me to trust in You, Lord, and wait on You and Your plan.
Post a Comment