Followers

Friday, April 6, 2012

April 6 - John 2: Whatever He Tells You, Do It

She went ahead anyway, telling the servants, "Whatever he tells you, do it." (2:5)
That verse jumped right off the page at me as I read this morning. Why isn't that what I do all the time? Why do I ask questions first and try to figure out what God's doing? Why do I automatically weigh the pros and cons and think about how it may impact me? Why don't I just do it immediately? Why do I interpret some of His commands as merely suggestions?

I'm sure there are plenty of explanations for it, including the culture I was raised in that values independence, common sense, and reputation, but the short answer is sin. As I often remind my children, delayed obedience is disobedience. If I really love the Lord, I will obey His commands. (John 14:15)

I recently read an article for my Perspectives class that amazed me. The section on "obedience-based discipleship" had me repenting before the Lord, humbled by people who 'get it' way more than I do.

The Bhojpuri people of North India have historically had great resistance to the gospel, but there's been a supernatural explosion of believers and churches in recent years. The Bhojpuri believers' obedience to the Lord, along with persistent prayer, is one of the keys to what God is doing among this largely unreached people group.
"An independent organization surveyed the Bhojpuri a few years back. They discovered that tenth generation Bhojpuri Christians, even among illiterate peoples, were just as strong and spiritually mature as Christians from the first generation. In other words, the gospel traveled from person to person, without being diluted or compromised, to the tenth person (tenth generation).
"We teach every church planter and believer in our ministry something very simple: If the Bible says, "Do it," then you must do it. If the Bible says, "Don't do it," then you don't do it. We also tell them they must pass on everything they learn to someone else as soon as possible - the same day if they can. This cycle of hearing, obeying and sharing develops mature believers and fuels the movement among the Bhojpuri." Perspectives on the World Christian Movement: A Reader, pg. 699
Wow! I am very challenged by this example. It's simple, yet I complicate it by trying to be in control.

Yes, it's simple if I actually want to be spiritually mature. If the Bible says, "Do it," then I must do it. If the Bible says, "Don't do it," then I don't do it. How drastically different would my life be if I followed those instructions faithfully? How drastically different would my witness to others be if I lived this way?

Lord, I pray You'll give me the heart to obey you immediately and completely. Help me to demonstrate my love for You by obeying You, as You command. I pray You'll reveal the patterns of thinking and behavior that keep me from doing whatever You tell me. I desperately want Your Spirit to transform my mind and my behavior so I will look more like You, Jesus.

I'm curious...what do you think keeps you from from doing whatever God tells you?

1 comment:

Christina said...

John is one of my favorite books of the Bible. It just always persuades me to believe in Jesus more and more. And I love reading it a lot! Love your thoughts and challenges about doing just what the Word tells us, doing just what Jesus tells us. Because He is God.

And thinking about delayed obedience being disobedience. I think in these past few months I've been trying to discern God's will and decide new paths in life and how to make choices in everything. And it's been hard. But I think it's been harder because even when I probably do hear what God is telling me to do, I delay it, I doubt it, I question it. And this is most probably because I doubt God's goodness, His plan and His sovereignty. And in disobedience, I desire to be in control and I want to trust myself rather than Him.

Lord I confess that I don't just do what You tell me. Change me with the power of Your Word through Your Holy Spirit in me. Help me to do what it says in Your Word and to not do what it says not to do. Help me to live by the Word. My culture, thoughts and sin often persuade me to think its okay to question You or not live directly by Your Word but help me to live radically by Your Word instead. Change my perspective and my attitude. Thank You for your forgiveness, for Your death on the cross for me. Mighty is the power of Your Cross!!!!! Thanks for dying to give me life. Your love is what kept you up there on the cross when you could have come down. You suffered to show me Your love. Help me to lay all things down and be obedient in following You. Love You Jesus. Rejoicing In Your Powerful Name, my Lord and Savior, Amen.