Followers

Thursday, April 19, 2012

April 19 - John 11: Power and Privilege

Jesus delayed. Lazarus died. Mary and Martha are left alone with no response from Jesus. This scene from Jesus' life isn't linear. It's not a story easily told. It's not the kind of situation we want to happen in our own lives. It's not something that we'd pray for. Yet, it is what Jesus did, "to show God's glory by glorifying God's Son" (11:4). (Which is often what we pray for, right?)

Martha and Mary greet Him with questions and doubts. They'd given Jesus plenty of notice, but He was late. Their reality was a dead brother, no one to support or protect them, and disappointment in Jesus not coming through in a timely manner. In the midst of their grief and uncertain situation, they did not come to Him with solutions He should employ to better their situation nor did they turn away from Him in bitterness nor did they seek diversion to dull the pain. They approached their Master in confidence that "whatever you ask God he will give you" (11:22).

Mary and Martha had no power or privilege. They came to Jesus with nothing but belief that He is the Messiah. He answers that He IS the Resurrection and the Life. Right now. (Jn. 11:25-27)

On the flipside of this story, the Jewish ruling body did have power and privilege (11:48) and it kept them from believing in the Messiah. To confess that Jesus was who He said He was, would threaten the control and rights that they held so dear. So dearly, that they traded the fragile grasp they had on this power (control) and privilege (rights) for the very Resurrection and Life standing in front of them.

This is the question I'm faced with today. Will I put all my energy, thought, and time into holding and demanding the control and the rights that I fear I might lose? Or will I let go of the illusion that I hold them at all and run into the arms of the Resurrection and Life?

2 comments:

Stacy Bennett said...

I was struck by Jesus' anger welling up (in verses 33-34) and wondering how to interpret it. Was Jesus angry that Mary and the other Jews were sobbing therefore showing a lack of trust in His power and promise that "he will be raised up" v. 23? Or... did he see the utter grief and brokenness of those He loved and hurt for them- angry at this process of death and the pain that it causes? Maybe both. I sure do love the idea of a Father who sees my pain and is angry on my behalf. I'm also sobered in thinking that maybe my doubts and distrust may cause Him a bit of anger. This is one of my favorite stories and I love that every time I read it, there is something new to ponder revealing more of God's character and love.

Della Perry said...

I was confused by that too, Stacy (HI!). I hadn't thought about the possibility of him being mad at death/pain.
Staci, I was thinking that the leaders' fear of losing privileges sounds an awful lot like my fears of losing comfort. Praying again today to not be more like the Pharisees, but to have the heart of a humbled servant (Mary/Martha) instead.