Followers

Monday, March 26, 2012

March 26 - Luke 17: A Tank of Gas

Last week, I ran through a tank of gas in about three days. Gas costing $3.69 a gallon. I was running thither and yon to take a friend to a critical appointment, an hour-and-a-half away. Going to pick up my daughters at their schools across town because of extracurricular activities. Meeting friends in another city for a meal and fellowship. Some acknowledged the sacrifice made to be together; others barely noticed. I felt it, not only in my gas gauge, but also in my numb backside and road weariness.

Although each encounter with each person was completely worth it (and more!), I recognized a grumbling, a grousing deep down, the feeling that the gratefulness expressed by others didn't meet the measure of my sacrifice. It wasn't pervasive, but it was there in my spirit. Then, I woke up the next day to read Luke 17 and Jesus' experience with the ten lepers.

At first, I identified with Jesus - feeling like I was only 10% appreciated and 90% overlooked. The Holy Spirit quickly corrected my thinking - I am one of the nine who walks away without acknowledging the very life that Christ pours out in me every moment.
One of them, when he realized that he was healed, turned around and came back, shouting his gratitude, glorifying God. He kneeled at Jesus feet, so grateful. He couldn't thank him enough - and he was a Samaritan. (17:14-16)
The Samaritan - the outsider - didn't simply respond with a "thank you." He glorified God and that's what Jesus recognized him for, "can none be found to give glory to God except this outsider?" (17:17-18). Glorifying God meant leaving the company of his friends, turning around, shouting, kneeling, no longer flying under the radar as a Samaritan, but standing out in the crowd with a negative label. That's gratitude of a different sort. It's the gratitude of an outsider who takes nothing for granted and is humbled and honored to even be noticed.
"...with God there are no outsiders.... As Luke tells the story, all of us who have found ourselves on the outside looking in on life with no hope of gaining entrance (and who of us hasn't felt it?) now find the doors wide open, found and welcomed by God in Jesus."  (Peterson, Intro. to Luke)
Father, Your welcome is undeserved and yet I take it for granted.  I was an outsider that You enfolded into Your family.  A simple "thank you" is not nearly enough.  A life of gratitude of a different sort is the appropriate response and I'm only beginning to understand how lacking I am in glorifying You.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

How perfect for me to read today. I am looking into myself way to much lately. With my aches and pains, my irritability towards my wonderful husband, and to fears of life ahead. Why, I haven't a clue. This was good to read so that I may "fix my eyes on Him". I would fill my thoughts of gratitude and glorify Him, there would be little room for all the negative stuff. Holy Spirit, work in me so that I might do this.