Jesus turned and told them, "Anyone who comes to me but refuses to let go of father, mother, spouse, children, brothers, sisters - yes, even one's own self! - can't be my disciple. (14:26)Jesus says can't. Not won't. Not chooses not to. He says that refusing to let go of others make it impossible to be His disciple.
He also says that refusing to enter into suffering for His sake or refusing to follow His lead disqualifies me as a disciple.
Anyone who won't shoulder his own cross and follow behind me can't be my disciple. (14:27)And He boils it all down into one simple sentence that cuts to the heart of the matter:
Simply put, if you're not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can't be my disciple. (14:33)Jesus makes it clear that if I want to be His disciple, He must have first place in my life. He will not tolerate people, possessions, or preferences competing with HIm for my affections. He wants my love, passion, and devotion for Him to far exceed anything that I feel and experience in my closest relationships or my most fulfilling pursuits. To follow Him, I must choose to set aside what is dearest to me, or I can't be His disciple.
Frankly, I feel like I've let go of a lot in the past 15 years of following Christ - career aspirations, possessions, reputation, money, my way. My life, in many respects, looks very different from what I'd planned.
Yet God is showing me that I have so much further to go in my discipleship. The previous pruning was only the tip of the iceberg! There are many, many more areas in my soul that need His refining fire and His healing touch because in my sin, I still cling to people and things and rights and my way.
Jesus' call to discipleship is persistent, but I know the cost is high. True discipleship requires every bit of me, and that scares me on some level. I know I can't do it on my own, but I guess that's the point, huh?
Are you listening to this? Really listening? (14:34)
"Discipleship, you see, is...a matter of intelligent deliberation. It is sitting in on a long strategy conference with Jesus Christ and finding the resources I need to live obediently and act redemptively." Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 1613Thank You, Jesus, that You give me everything I need for life and godliness, to live obediently and act redemptively. Thank You that it's by Your power alone that I can be Your disciple, that I don't have to manufacture anything on my own. I praise You as my Shepherd and my Refuge and Strength.
1 comment:
There was so much in this passage that challeged me today. First, what does it mean to "refuse to let go of" father, mother, brother, sister, etc. I get that God wants to be first in our heart over all else, but in this specific case, I'm not sure if I could identify when I would be putting my children or my husband or a family member above God. Does anyone else struggle with getting that? How does it play out in our lives...to put someone else before God? Seeking approval over obedience?
I was also convicted of the story of the dinner guests, where the person comes in and sits at the head of the table and is asked to change seats, because someone more honored than him was supposed to set there. How humilitiating. I've always read that story and thought, "yeah, I know people like that." But today I read that and thought, "that could be me." How often, especially in Christian circles, do I assume I should get the seat of honor, in little ways...because I am mentoring all these women..I am involved in all these Bible studies...I'm initiating with all kinds of non-believers. It is not so blatant, but in my heart, I am thinking I deserve to be at the head of the table at a Christian banquet, because I ROCK with all my good deeds.
Ugh. How ugly is that???
I loved this verse:
What I'm saying is, If you walk around with your nose in the air, you're going to end up flat on your face. But if you're content to be simply yourself, you will become more than yourself."
Lord, help me not to put my nose up in the air, even in Christian circles (but also non-Christian ones!). I pray that I would automatically take a humble seat at the table, that I would content to simply be myself and that by doing so, You would shine through me to point others to Yourself.
Post a Comment