It's put a lot in perspective for me as I've wrestled with both the Scriptures and Larry Crabb's words. I haven't always liked or completely understood what I've been reading in this book, but two main things have stood out to me.
First, God's judgment is coming. It's not speculation. It's not religious fantasy. It's not wishful thinking. This is reality, and God is telling us what's in store. It's often frightening and confusing, but let's make no mistake: judgment is definitely coming, sooner rather than later.
I saw a white horse...He rode off, conquering right and left. (6:2)Second, God loves and protects His people. Our prayers are precious to Him. They matter, more than I ever imagined. Before studying this book, I didn't understand how much God wants to hear my prayers and how much they impact Him.
A black horse this time...I heard a message..."A quart of wheat for a day's wages, or three quarts of barley, but all the oil and wine you want." (6:5-6)
A colorless horse, sickly pale. Its rider was Death and Hell was close on its heels. They were given power to destroy a fourth of the earth by war, famine, disease, and wild beasts. (6:7-8)
...a bone-jarring earthquake, sun turned black as ink, stars falling out of the sky...The great Day of their wrath is come - who can stand it? (6:12, 17)
He thundered to the Four Angels assigned the task of hurting earth and sea (7:3)
At first trumpet blast, hail and fire mixed with blood were dumped on earth. A third of the earth was scorched. (8:7)
A third of the sea turned to blood, a third of the living sea creatures died, and a third of the ships sank. (8:9)
A third of the water turned bitter, and many people died from poisoned water. (8:11)
A third of the sun, a third of the moon, and a third of the stars were hit, blacked out by a third, both day and night in one-third blackout. (8:12)
I heard a lone eagle, flying through Middle-Heaven, crying out ominously, "Doom! Doom! Doom to everyone left on earth!" (8:13)
The moment [the Lamb] took the scroll, the Four Animals and Twenty-four Elders fell down and worshiped the Lamb. Each had a harp and each had a bowl, a gold bowl filled with incense, the prayers of God's holy people. (5:8)I may not fully understand the symbolism or connect all of the dots, but I'm fully engaged as I read the last chapter of God's story. And I'm so grateful for the glimpse into the future so that I can get my priorities straight today.
When he ripped off the fifth seal, I saw the souls of those killed because they held firm to the Word of God. They were gathered under the Altar, and cried out in loud prayers, "How long, Strong God, Holy and True? How long before you step in and avenge our murders?" Then each martyr was given a white robe and told to sit back and wait" (6:9-11)
"Don't hurt the earth! Don't hurt the sea! Don't hurt so much as a tree until I've sealed the servants of our God on their foreheads!" (7:3)
He was given a great quantity of incense so that he could offer up the prayers of all the holy people of God on the Golden Altar before the Throne. Smoke billowed up from the incense-laced prayers of the holy ones, rose before God before the hand of the Angel. (8:3-4)
"John's Revelation is not easy reading. Besides being a pastor, John is a poet, fond of metaphor and symbol, image and illusion, passionate in his desire to bring us into the presence of Jesus believing and adoring. But the demands he makes on our intelligence and imagination are well rewarded, for in keeping company with John, our worship of God will almost certainly deepen in urgency and joy." Eugene Peterson, Introduction to Revelation
1 comment:
The sun black as ink, stars falling out of the sky. Shocking and scary. Makes me so want to end my life well. So grateful I can start over every minute. My Christmas was kind of shocking to me since I am thinking about that word. Never thought, never dreamed I would be where I am this day. Will keep falling forward on a Good God Who is always doing us good and my definition must change of what I think is good. Yesterday morning, Britt came & got me and said---Mom, come see what Ally's little brother did on YouTube. Ben passed away Christmas day and left a video. You can watch it at Twitter: #RIPBenBreedlove. We were not made for this world yet I keep holding on to what I desire here on earth, good things like family. Let it go, Bev!
Post a Comment