Followers

Thursday, December 1, 2011

December 1 - 1 Corinthians 9-11: Run To Win

I've recently started running. I'd put myself in the reluctant runner category because I've always hated running. But it's the easiest way to get exercise at this point in my life, and I daresay I'm actually starting to enjoy it a tiny little bit (especially how it feels when I'm done!) I ran my first 5K ever in October and did the Turkey Trot here in Austin on Thanksgiving.

So, Paul's metaphor of running really spoke to me.
I've become just about every sort of servant there is in my attempts to lead those I meet into a God-saved life. I did all this because of the Message. I didn't just want to talk about it; I wanted to be in on it! 
You've all been to the stadium and seen the athletes race. Everyone runs; one wins. Run to win. All good athletes train hard...I don't know about you, but I'm running hard for the finish line. I'm giving it everything I've got. No sloppy living for me! I'm staying alert and in top condition. I'm not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself. (9:23-27)
It's interesting the context in which Paul is writing this. He's defending his authority in the Corinthians' lives. He's standing up to his critics. (9:3) He's defending his right to receive support from those he's led to faith in Christ. Paul, this apostle called by Jesus Himself, has plenty of detractors. As I think about it, should I really be surprised that I have detractors as well? That there are people who question my motives or think that I'm full of myself? It's good perspective for me to see what Paul experienced and how he turned it into motivation to continue serving the Lord.
"The church will always have critics in the pews. And even though they may need to be answered, they don't need to be endlessly answered...There's something more important at hand. There's a race to be run, and we all need to be in it. We're going somewhere together, and this act of going requires all our attention, all our discipline, and all our energy. We're not spectators watching what other people do and commenting on it; we're runners. And if we're running the race, we don't have breath left over to talk about the other runners." Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 1785
As I think back to my race last Thursday, Peterson's right. I didn't have the energy or inclination to criticize the other runners. I had a goal in mind and that enabled me to focus on my own race and not be distracted by the 21,000 other participants.
"Running is a good metaphor for living the Christian life. It requires training and concentration, it implies a goal, it excludes spectators, it gathers the participants into a camaraderie that overcomes differences. You don't have to understand or like or affirm the others runners to run with them. It's the goal that defines the race, and your act of running defines you as a runner. That's what we're doing, Paul tells us. We're runners. The church isn't a club in which we try to understand one another, or even get along with each other. The church isn't a club at all; it's a race. And if we're in a race, there's precious little energy left over for the kind of discussions you seem to be engaging in. 
His point? 
Quit complaining and start running." EP, Conversations, pg. 1785
It's a great reminder for me to know the goal, to keep focused on it despite daily distractions, and to run the race that God's laid out before me in such a way that I can win. I must keep my eyes on the prize, not be distracted by what others are doing or saying. Run to win, Cici. Give it all you've got.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Love your comments Cici!

These chapters are a great reminder for me that even the great Paul was criticized. Why shouldn't I be? When I focus on my race, it does remove the clutter that invades my mind.

For me, I continue to struggle with "time" as my idol even though I receive so much more joy when I give myself away to serving others. However, something changed for me last month that gave me a real sense of God working in this area. God has put some really great neighbors in my life. My kids enjoy playing with so many of the kids that live around us. Last month I started hosting a meal event at my house called "kids style". It is all driven by the idea that my kids get to have their friends over for dinner. They love this. Last month it was mac and cheese. This month we will have pizza. I truly am enjoying this as it's a way to love, model, and serve the kids on my street. All this to say, I am truly experiencing God in this. I'm feeling a lot of freedom and joy and not a "servant obligation" and time killer. Thank you Lord for putting your joy in me. You know God that I don't want to stay so microfocused on my time. Thank you for your abundant grace and involvement as I "run my race". I am so grateful!

Christina said...

Thanks for this post! So encouraging.

Just like my running life, my run in this race, has been slow recently. Reading today was kind of like a wake up. Am I going to nap? And get caught napping? While I tell everyone else about the message and then miss out on it myself?

So blessed to just be experiencing joy and seeing God more clearly every day. So blessed and thankful to God for realizing my recent revelation that I need to be dependent on the Holy Spirit's work and leading because on my own, I'm just failing and falling short. Thankful for joy in this christmas season and a heart that is aching each moment to sing songs of hope and thankfulness for our Saviors birth!

God, help me to wake up from my "naps" and not miss out on You. Help me to also to rise early and be with You, to find quality not only quiet time with You. And help me to be still before You and come and adore You and worship You. Help me to run this race and give You my all. Run to win, Christina :)