Followers

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

November 8 - John 9-10: I Was Blind, Now I See

They couldn't figure out, or agree on, who Jesus was.
Some of the Pharisees said, “Obviously, this man can’t be from God. He doesn’t keep the Sabbath.” Others countered, “How can a bad man do miraculous, God-revealing things like this?” (9:16)   
With that [the Pharisees] jumped all over him...”We know for sure that God spoke to Moses, but we have no idea where this man even comes from”...The man replied...”If this man didn’t come from God, he wouldn’t be able to do anything.” (9:28-33)  
A lot of them were saying, “He’s crazy, a maniac - out of his head completely”...But others weren’t so sure: “These aren’t the words of a crazy man. Can a ‘maniac’ open blind eyes?” (10:19-21)  
The Jews, circling him, said, “How long are you going to keep us guessing? If you’re the  Messiah, tell us straight out.” (10:24) 
The situation isn't so different today. Countless people can't figure out who Jesus is. A great teacher? Just another prophet? An irrelevant religious leader? The Son of God?

Although God has opened my eyes to Jesus as Lord and Savior, I often forget what He's like. In the daily-ness of life, my focus shifts to me, and I forget my Savior who is right there with me, longing to be in intimate fellowship with me. I get bogged down in getting things done and taking care of others, all the while trying to not lose a sense of myself.

It's in chapters like these that Jesus reminds me of the truth about Himself. I needed that today, a day when I felt like a stupid sheep, constantly losing my way. Here He tells me as plainly as possible:
I am the Gate for the sheep. (10:7) 
I am the Good Shepherd. I know my own sheep and my own sheep know me. (10:14)
Jesus also tells me He is the Bread of Life (6:25); the world's Light (8:12); Resurrection and Life (11:25); the Road, also the Truth, also the Life (14:6); and the Real Vine (15:1).
“The simplest grammar is employed to invite us in as participants in the story. Jesus doesn’t try to impress us with big words or lofty concepts; he doesn’t flaunt his credentials; he doesn’t intimidate us with a show of authority. 
The simple words Jesus used to strike up a conversation with the people he came in contact with underscore his humility. He came to these people in the humblest of ways, ways that any of them could understand. And he comes to us in those same ways - as the Bread that nourishes us. As the Light that illumines us. As the Gate that opens to us. As the Shepherd that leads us. As the Life that raises us. As the Truth that stabilizes us. And as the Vine that makes fruitfulness possible. He comes to us in the lowliest of ways - and all for our highest good.” Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 1658
There's a lot that I don't comprehend about my God. I know the equivalent of (maybe) one tiny drop in the vast ocean of knowledge of God, but I do know the great and mighty things He's done for me. I'm grateful for all of the ways that He comes to me, all for my highest good. Thank You, Lord.

I'm learning all over again through stories like these what my Jesus is like. While I don't have full knowledge (and never will this side of eternity), like the blind man, I can say:
He replied, "I know nothing about that one way or the other. But I know one thing for sure: I was blind...now I see." (9:25)

2 comments:

Staci said...

Jesus' words in John 9:39-41 are sobering. Jesus then said, "I came into the world to bring everything into the clear light of day, making all the distinctions clear, so that those who have never seen will see, and those who have made a great pretense of seeing will be exposed as blind... If you were really blind, you would be blameless, but since you claim to see everything so well, you're accountable for every fault and failure."

He's not kidding around. No jokes here. Someone who thinks they know it all and thinks they can see it all clearly will be accountable for it all.

The mystery of Jesus calls us to Him not to being an expert. The pressure's off!

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

i was blind but now i see...
and we know that we know...
somehow i know some things this night that i didn't even know yesterday...
only God can do that...
some things i see more clearly...
some things are walking trees...
but i was blind..
no more...