Followers

Saturday, November 19, 2011

November 19 - Acts 16-17: A Trusting Heart

In many conversations with Christian girlfriends, the conclusion is often drawn that we just need to trust God more.  Or believe Him more.  Or have more faith.  And there's an element of truth in these statements, but there's also a twisting of the truth.  It's backwards, the cart before the horse, the effect not the cause, the putting of second things first.
As [Lydia] listened with intensity to what was being said, the Master gave her a trusting heart - and she believed!  (16:14)
Put your entire trust in the Master Jesus.  Then you'll live as you were meant to live...  (16:31)
Starting from scratch, he made the entire human race and made the earth hospitable with plenty of time and space for living so we could seek after God, and not just grope around in the dark but actually find him.  He doesn't play hide-and-seek with us.  He's not remote; he's near.  (17:26-27)
God didn't ask Lydia to overcome any trust issues she had and manufacture a trusting heart.  He didn't ask the jailer to create more trust, just to place all that he had in the Master.  He who created the universe and all of its hiding places doesn't play hide-and-seek with us.  He's not asking us to do more, be more, try harder to find Him.  He's made the Way through Jesus and He's asking us to walk in Him.  This is actually more difficult because it requires me to humbly admit that I can't do more, be more, try harder and get any closer to God.  Trust, belief and faith are not the goal.  To love the One in whom I place my trust, belief and faith is the goal.  Loving Him is the first thing.  All other righteous living may be good things, but they are second things that come out of the first thing.

3 comments:

Christina said...

Crazy to think about. What would happen if i remind myself often that I have already trusted? Because God gave me a trusting heart already?

Would I stop trying harder? I feel like I'm trying so hard but maybe I just need to let go. I always think the answer is to trust God more, believe Him more, have more faith, pursue Him more, love Him more. Am I still striving for something and trying to change myself instead of letting Him change me? Why am I not at rest and hidden in Him but in my own little world right now wrestling and wrestling and wrestling and hurting?

I'll be praying. My God is not remote, He's near.
(Thanks for giving me somewhere to ask questions, even to myself and stop and give God the time of day. Giving me an opportunity to continue to choose Him and His Word, no matter what's going on.)

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Good thoughts Staci. I think we don't listen to our consciences and what is stirring inside of us. Our pain, our emptiness overshadows our selfishness. Lydia's heart was wide open and God changed her.

Wonder why we even want trusting hearts? Is it for us or for Him? Our comfort, our story?
His Will, His Glory.

Della Perry said...

I find it interesting that God definitely called Paul to Macedonia and that's the very place that he was beaten and thrown in jail. More evidence that God doesn't call us to an easy life where we can stay busy managing our blessings.