Followers

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

November 15 - Acts 7-8: Scattered

In the beginning of Acts, this new body of believers - the first church - is living in unity, harmony, and tremendous spiritual multiplication.  The very things I crave today in a spiritual community and what I would cling to if I found it in a church today.  In fact, it's the perfect community that many churches today are striving for and putting their resources toward.  So, why didn't God allow His first church to remain untouched, undisturbed?  Instead, the first church experienced persecution and now martyrdom.
Stephen replied [to the High Council], '...You had God's Law handed to you by angels - gift-wrapped! - and you squandered it!' (7:53)
At that point they went wild, a rioting mob of catcalls and whistles and invective.  But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, hardly noticed - he only had eyes for God. (7:55)
As the rocks rained down, Stephen prayed, 'Master Jesus, take my life.' Then he knelt down, praying loud enough for everyone to hear. 'Master, don't blame them for this sin' - his last words.  Then he died. (7:59-60)
That set off a terrific persecution of the church in Jerusalem.  The believers were all scattered throughout Judea and Samaria.... Forced to leave home base, the followers of Jesus all became missionariesWherever they were scattered, they preached the Message about Jesus.  (8:1, 4-5)
God's vision was bigger.  His plans were greater.  His goal didn't end with His church experiencing perfect community, no one having need, everyone of one heart and one mind.  He was disruptive. His ways are not my ways.
"You are not alive in this world in order to experience Me or to enjoy the blessings of a comfortable life.  If that were My purpose, I'd have brought you into My Presence in heaven the moment you were forgiven and adopted into My family.
"Your purpose till you die is to reveal a new attitude toward suffering and a new agenda in prayer that flows out of your new purpose in life that makes sense only if you claim your new hope of resurrection." (66LL) 
Father, forgive me for setting my sights too low.  For desiring the perceived utopia of the spiritual community of Acts more than living in the true purpose of the life You've given me - proclaiming the new hope of resurrection in You.

1 comment:

Christina said...

It's hard for me to be focused these days! Even while I'm reading, just feels like so much is happening in these Acts days.

But a few things I am moved by today and praying for help from God to meditate on is like you quoted, Staci, I am not alive in this world to experience Him or enjoy the blessings of a comfortable life. This is kind of different for me to think about because I thought I was alive in this world to experience Him now. But then He would've just brought us to His presence. I guess it's just what makes us able to have life in this world, knowing Him.

Also moved by 8.25 and 8.40... "And with that, the apostles were on their way, coninuing to witness and spread the Message of God's salvation, preaching in every Samaritan town they passed through..." "Philip showed up in Azotus and continues north, preaching the Message in all the villages along the route..." The apostles just continue to continue on and continue preaching the Message of Salvation. Claiming their new hope in the resurrection. I pray that my heart and life's mission would be completely changed in this way and in this light. Except I'm almost scared of what that means. But God can take away that fear too. :)