Followers

Thursday, November 10, 2011

November 10 - John 13-15: What I've Done, You Do

Jesus knew that the Father had put him in complete charge of everything, that he came from God and was on his way back to God. So he got up from the supper table, set aside his robe, and put on an apron. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the feet of the disciples. (13:3-6)
Jesus was so in tune with His Father and so sure of His calling that He performed the lowliest of tasks lovingly and humbly. He didn't struggle with pride or a sense of entitlement like I do. There are lots of daily jobs that, in my heart, I don't want to do and feel resentful that I have to perform.

Yet after Jesus does this filthy foot-washing job, He says:
"I've laid down a pattern for you. What I've done, you do." (13:15)
He's commanding me to serve others with a heart like His. The Lord knows I wrestle with the sin of pride, of thinking like I'm too good for menial tasks. For me, washing feet is the equivalent of changing one more nasty diaper, wiping one more snotty nose, cleaning up one more mess that's been left for me.

I confess that on many a day the drudgery of motherhood at this stage is too much for this prideful girl. Although I adore my children, in the deep recesses of my heart, I long for a life that's bigger somehow, that feels more important. and (honestly) more me-centered.
"Drudgery is one of the finest test to determine the genuineness of our character. Drudgery is work that is far removed from anything we think of as ideal work. It is the utterly hard, menial, tiresome, and dirty work. And when we experience it, our spirituality is instantly tested and we will know whether or not we are spiritually genuine. [In John 13], we see the Incarnate God performing the greatest example of drudgery - washing fishermen's feet...The inspiration of God is required if drudgery is to shine with the light of God upon it. In some cases the way a person does a task makes that work sanctified and holy forever. It may be a very common everyday task, but after we have seen it done, it becomes different. When the Lord does something through us, He always transforms it. Our Lord takes our human flesh and transforms it, and now every believer's body has become 'the temple of the Holy Spirit' (1 Corinthians 6:19)." Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest
Lord, I want You to transform my heart and mind. I don't want to be double-minded, wishing I was doing something other than what You've given to me. So I'll thank You again today for the circumstances in which You've placed me - to teach me humility and self-sacrifice, and to test the genuineness of my character and spirituality.
If you understand what I'm telling you, act like it - and live a blessed life. (13:17)

2 comments:

Della Perry said...

These verses always mess with me because I'm struck with the fact that I'm not experiencing this truth. Some piece of the equation is missing, and I know it's not a part of Jesus'.
John 14:12-14 MSG

The person who trusts me will not only do what I'm doing but even greater things, because I, on my way to the Father, am giving you the same work to do that I've been doing. You can count on it. From now on, whatever you request along the lines of who I am and what I am doing, I'll do it. That's how the Father will be seen for who he is in the Son. I mean it. Whatever you request in this way, I'll do.

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

I'm the one who would be happy to wash someone's feet, would feel comfortable doing it. I came from somewhat poverty and it's what I've known. It's too comfortable for me. I'll do what no one wants to do. I don't think that's right. What's a step of faith for me? It's not the act, it's the adoration that comes out of the act. Adoration. Motivation. For the Greater Glory of God whether we are washing windows or welcoming presidents. You said it well, Cici.