Followers

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

October 25 - Luke 4-5: Because You Say So, I Will

Whenever I read the story of Jesus calling Peter in Luke 5, it reminds me of a leadership talk by Bill Hybels that I heard years ago. Hybels called the interaction between Jesus and Simon (Peter) the "five tests for a leader."

I'm not leading much of anything these days, other than two very important little people in my life. Yet I realize that in this eternally significant role of mom, it's still good for me to evaluate my own leadership because self-leadership is the biggest challenge, where things are often won or lost.

I found my notes today from the talk and reminded myself of some of the things Hybels evaluates when he's looking for leaders:
  1. Bias toward action test - Jesus asks Simon to move his boat out into the water so He can preach from it. (5:3) Simon does it, seemingly without objection. Hybels argues that this activistic quality is essential for leaders.
  2. Can you follow direction test - Jesus tells Simon, "Push out into deep water and let your nets out for a catch." (5:4) Jesus is telling Simon, a fisherman, to fish in the daylight, after fishing all night without catching anything. And Simon's response is revealing. But if you say so, I will (5:5). It shows that Peter is willing to submit and put himself under authority - important qualities for godly followers.
  3. Who deserves the credit test - Simon Peter, when he saw [the huge haul of fish], fell to his knees before Jesus. (5:8) He knows where the credit belongs - to Jesus - and gives glory to God. It reveals humility.
  4. Grander vision test - "From now on you'll be fishing for men and women." (5:10) Jesus challenges Simon to higher stakes than just fishing. He's offering him so much more in the kingdom.
  5. Will you leave it test - They pulled their boats up on the beach, left them, nets and all, and followed him. (5:11) Grander vision is a costlier vision but Jesus lets them decide. He never demands that they leave. He just makes the offer. 
So, how am I doing in these areas?

Do I have a bias toward action when the Holy Spirit prompts me - to ask forgiveness, to put aside my selfish desires and serve my family, to engage with others when I'd rather be alone?

When the Lord tells me to do something, do I follow through immediately? Or do I come up with all sorts of objections and "better" ideas of what I should do? Do I talk to others before I decide to obey, or do I have a "because You say so, I will" kind of attitude?

Do I readily acknowledge that everything I have comes from the Lord? Do I steal God's glory by taking credit that isn't mine? Am I humble, or does my pride get in the way?

Are my eyes on the grander vision, the larger story that God is telling? Or am I bogged down in the day-to-day details and my own wants and desires?

Do I put aside all of the things that compete for my attention? Am I willing to give God first place, or is He a convenient little add-on for whenever I need Him?

Lord, I pray that You'll show me where I'm not following You whole-heartedly. I want to be a woman who lovingly submits to You in all areas of my life. I pray You'll give me the grace to be able to say, "Because You say so, I will" in any and every situation.
"The uniqueness of the gospel is not that it gets us to do something entirely new but that it sends us back to what we've been doing all along, but this time with Jesus. God wants to be in command of our lives - our work lives, our family lives, our leisured lives." Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 1589

2 comments:

Sarah Evers said...

Amen! Thats a powerful leadership and obedience test for any stage of life, and every stage of life.

Christina said...

Yes, agreed! powerful. thanks for sharing. I'm asking God to open my heart and mold me to a because You say so I will person because thats not where I am.