It was refreshing to be able to talk deeply about things that really matter, and we encouraged one another with the truth that God is using our challenging circumstances to reveal Himself to us. He is growing our faith and maturity and using our specific life situations to do it.
Honestly, I feel silly calling any of my circumstances "suffering," especially as the story of Jesus unfolds. In this one short chapter, we see some of the betrayal, brutality, and abandonment that Jesus, the Son of God, endured for us:
Judas Iscariot, one of the Twelve, went to the cabal of high priests, determined to betray [Jesus.] (14:10)
The others then grabbed [Jesus] and roughed him up. (14:46)
Some of them started spitting at him. They blindfolded his eyes, then hit him, saying "Who hit you? Prophesy!" The guards, punching and slapping, took him away. (14:65)
All the disciples cut and ran. (14:50)
Now Peter got really nervous and swore, "I never laid eyes on this man you're talking about." (14:71)And in stark contrast, we also see Jesus' single-mindedness to accomplish what the Father sent Him to do.
He said, "This is my blood, God's new covenant, poured out for many people." (14:24)
Going a little ahead, he fell to the ground and prayed for a way out: "Papa, Father, you can - can't you? - get me out of this. Take this cup away from me. But please, not what I want - what do you want?" (14:35-36)
In the middle of this, the Chief Priest stood up and asked Jesus, "What do you have to say to the accusation?" Jesus was silent. He said nothing. (14:60)Rather than comparing my own suffering to Jesus' suffering (and always coming up short), I think God is opening my eyes to see that both service and suffering are required for me to become more like Christ. I've (mostly) understood the service aspect, but the suffering part is something I've tried my best to avoid, although it's a crucial part of the growth process.
"Until [Mark 8:31], I emphasized My Son's service. After that verse I traced His journey toward suffering... You...are prone to miss the point: there is no gospel without the cross, there is no obedience without servanthood, and there is no spiritual formation without suffering...Learn the lesson: the King of kings and Lord of lords, Creator of everything, came as a humble servant, the ultimate Somebody disguised as a mere nobody. Consider that in your understanding of spiritual formation." 66 LLLord, thank You for the view I have through Mark of You as the Suffering Servant. I praise You for Your power, strength, mercy, and grace that enabled You to pay the brutal penalty for my sins. Thank You for this view of both Your service and Your suffering. I know You want both for me. Thank You for the challenges with this adoption because You're using every bit of the pain to draw me closer to You and to grow me spiritually. Although I often don't understand the way that You work, I trust You, and I love You, Jesus.
2 comments:
Jesus "loves into the suffering....That love - whose obedience is wide and long and high and deep enough to dissolve a mountain of rightful wrath - is the love you've been looking for all your life. No family love, no friend love, no mother love, no spousal love, no romantice love -- nothing could possibly satisfy you like that. All those other kinds of love will let you down; this one never will." (Keller)
My thoughts are similar, Cici. It seems that through my minor version of suffering, God is calling me to a much deeper understnading of His love that so willingly and greatly suffered for me.
It's so strange to talk about our suffering sometimes isnt it? I was just talking to a friend about how silly i felt talking about a current "suffering" and how i even felt bad calling it a suffering because it doesn't compare to what Jesus did for us. BUT my friend encouraged me that whatever we're going through if it feels like suffering, it probably is. So, i'm encouraged that Jesus "loves into the suffering" and completely agree- suffering is part of the Gospel.
And part of being a humble servant i believe. Right? I wonder if its ever easier and easier to be a humble servant. Although this is the prayer of my heart to be cleaned and transformed, I know my sin continues to get in the way and make this hard. But maybe its not about how easy it is- but just about where it brings me. Closer to God. Also sooo thankful for this view through Mark and how God is a personal God who speaks to us so personally in all of our circumstances, in our heart circumstances- in everything. Thank You Jesus.
Post a Comment