Followers

Monday, October 17, 2011

October 17 - Mark 6-7: The Process, Not the Outcome

Off and on all weekend, Harry and I have been discussing a decision that we need to make. It's one of those difficult ones about the direction God would have us take. There's not a clear right or wrong answer to this; it's just a matter of determining what God would have us do. Is the answer: yes, no, or wait? Honestly, I don't know.

With this big decision on my mind, I read the story about Jesus sending His disciples ahead of Him in the boat while He climbed a mountain to pray. (6:45-52) Oswald Chambers used these verses to help me put our decision in perspective and to ask myself some questions:
"We tend to think that if Jesus Christ compels us to do something and we are obedient to Him, He will lead us to great success...We have the idea that God is leading us toward a particular end or a desired goal, but He is not...What we see as only the process of reaching a particular end, God sees as the goal itself. 
What is my vision of God's purpose for me? Whatever it may be, His purpose is for me to depend on Him and on His power now. If I can stay calm, faithful, and unconfused while in the middle of the turmoil of life, the goal of the purpose of God is being accomplished in me. God is not working toward a particular finish - His purpose is the process itself. What He desires for me is that I see "Him walking on the sea" with no shore, no success, no goal in sight, but simply having the absolute certainty that everything is all right because I see "Him walking on the sea" (6:49). It is the process, not the outcome that is glorifying to God." My Utmost for His Highest
It's a relief to realize that we don't have to make the "right" decision. I've been putting that pressure on myself. I love the perspective that God uses the decision-making process to draw us to Himself and to build character, conviction, and faith into our lives. All we need to do is to depend on Him and on His power now.

Lord, I continue to ask You for wisdom and direction in this decision. May I fully trust in You and the reality of who You are. May I not measure success by outcomes, but by my obedience and absolute certainty in You. Thank You that You want to reveal Your will to me and to give me the power to obey You. Even as I wrestle, I pray that this entire process will bring glory to You, Father.

5 comments:

Staci said...

I identify with the words in 6:3, "They tripped over what little they knew about him (Jesus) and fell, sprawling. And they never got any further." There are people in my life that I discount, just as the people of Jesus' hometown did here. Sometimes, when reading the familiar Bible stories, I skip over the deeper meanings because I've heard it before. I trip over what little I know and fall, never getting any further. I need humility to really listen, really hear, really seek. The underlying assumption of humility is that I don't know it already, don't know what God's saying to me this time. I don't want to be sprawled out and missing God in the unexpected places and people He has put in my life.

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Cici, your post is phenomenal. You have answered a question I didn't even know I had. A very good friend has been sharing God's Life with me and has been saying what you have. I feel like I know something now I didn't know before I read this blog. Beautiful words of trust! Praying for you to find your Beautiful God in the midst. We are all so arrogant to think we can do things right. Falling Forward in Humble Trust on a very Good God. Thank you for sharing His Beauty ~ Psalm 90:2. Perfect in Beauty is the God Who pours out of you.

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Cici, can you text me what day it is in MUFHH?

Cici said...

Just FYI for everyone - this devotional is on 7/28 in MUFHH...

Christina said...

I so needed to hear this right now as I struggle through a hard everyday task I don't want to do but is part of the job. I feel like its suffering. And I pray my heart would change. drastically. I almost feel like I'm set up for failure in some ways.

Trying to focus on the process not the outcome. Thank you for sharing wise words and your experience out of vulnerability! I don't feel calm or faithful or anything. Lord, draw me to You. You Alone!