Followers

Saturday, October 15, 2011

October 15 - Mark 1-3: Sin-Sick

Jesus, overhearing, shot back, "Who needs a doctor: the healthy or the sick? I'm here inviting the sin-sick, not the spiritually fit." (2:17)
I'm experiencing the real battle going on inside of me, between my flesh and spirit. I had an angry reaction to a mistake I made last night, and I was defensive and overly-sensitive when my husband tried to use humor to lighten the moment. It just made me angrier.

Last night, I (once-again) experienced the serious reality of my sin-sickness. I'm not spiritually-fit like I want to be. My deep-seated sin pattern is that I want to be perfect, and I get mad and embarrassed when I'm not. I struggle with pride and not being able to forgive myself when I make mistakes. And as hard as that is to deal with in myself, I'm beginning to see the same pattern developing in one of my children, and I feel ill-equipped to help her.

Jesus reminded me through this verse that that He's here inviting me to Himself. Me trying harder isn't going to fix anything. If I will humbly surrender, He will give me the power that I need, exactly when I need it. If I continue to yield to my flesh, nothing will change; the failure and frustration will go on.
"Demand nothing. Surrender everything. Those are My terms. Like you, Mark failed. Like you, Mark wrongly believed that the good news of following Me into kingdom living included the good news of a life blessed with a certain level of comfort and freedom from hassle. But My Son brought him back and moved him forward." 66 LL
I repent of my demand for comfort and freedom from hassle. Lord, I pray that You'll bring me back and move me forward as well, not so You'll make my life better but in order that I may know You more. I want to see Your Son clearly.
"Hear this: 
Because of My Son, no failure of yours can block My plan for your life. But you must see My Son so clearly, so up close and personally, that you realize He is worth of your losing everything you value in life in order to know Him, to serve Him." 66 LL

1 comment:

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

I love your blog. I never look at the name of who wrote it and try to guess who it is every day (you think I'd remember who wrote the one the day before but I have too much stuff in my brain). I love your blog cause it's so real. Chesterton said we are all sea-sick together. And sin-sick! Your heart for Him is beautiful to me. I come here to be refreshed. These days, and lately, I wake up with tears rolling down and I end my day wearing out His Ears with more tears. But, I keep coming back, He's holding my head high, and I'm surrendered in my sin-sick world falling forward on a very Good God, no matter what. Love your blog.