Followers

Saturday, October 1, 2011

October 1 - Malachi 1-4: Turn Toward Me

There were plenty of days that I thought we'd never get to the end of the Old Testament, and now we're here - finally in Malachi! I'm surprised that I'm a little sad to see the end of this part of God's revelation. Really. God has spoken powerfully to me this year through these books, and I'm grateful for what I've learned and experienced.

God chose Malachi to deliver the last word of the Old Testament to His people who were "indifferent to My law, sloppy in worship, arrogantly assuming their religious practices entitled them to My blessings, and hardened to everything but their comfort." 66 LL

The Jews would hear nothing from God for the next four hundred years, until the birth of Jesus. And in this last word, God brought charges against the Jews and "endured seven inexcusably calloused responses."
Charge 1: I have loved you. You refuse to love Me in return.
Response 1: How have You loved us? You could love us better. (1:2) 
Charge 2: You show contempt for My name.
Response 2: What are You talking about? (1:6) 
Charge 3: Your worship of Me is deficient.
Response 3: We think it's fine. (1:7) 
Charge 4: You weary Me.
Response 4: We think You should be pleased with us. (2:17) 
Charge 5: You have turned from Me. Turn toward Me.
Response 5: We're facing You. What's Your problem? (3:6-7) 
Charge 6: You've robbed Me.
Response 6: We've done no such thing. (3:8) 
Charge 7: You've said harsh things against Me.
Response 7: Nothing You haven't deserved. C'mon. Treat us better. We're Your kids, Your favorites. (3:13-14)" 66LL
This short book carries a powerful punch from God, for both the Jews and for me. It reminds me how much God sees my sin and my selfish, blame-deflecting attitude. I whine. I excuse. I stomp my foot at God when He doesn't give me what I want. I'm guilty of every one of these charges and no doubt have similar bad responses.

Yet even as He indicted His people, He continued to be their loving heavenly Father. He knew the fulfillment of His promises in Jesus was near - right around the corner, in fact.

And God treats me the same way. Although He sees my sin, and I fall short of His standard everyday, I never need doubt His love. For the past nine months, I have seen over and over again the depth of His love for His people, how He remains faithful and true even when they're unfaithful. And out of that unselfish, sacrificial love, God gives His One and Only Son as a ransom for many, for me.
"I have loved you. I love you still. Beneath your darkness, disillusionment, and doubts, you long to know Me, to serve Me, to honor My name, to wait for Me as My prisoner of hope. That delights Me. You are my treasure. 
Listen now to My last word before you see My Son: Turn toward yourself, live for satisfaction and fullness now, and you will lose yourself. Turn toward Me, sacrifice your pleasure for Mine, and you will find Me and yourself, purpose now and joy forever." 66 LL
Father, I praise You for Your never-ending love and Your beautiful plan. Thank You for revealing Your holiness and exposing my unholiness. I want to see myself as You see me. Thank You for showing me the bigger picture of what You're accomplishing in Your Grand Story. I pray You'll give me the desire and power to turn toward You moment-by-moment. And thank You for Jesus. What an incredible gift! I'm so ready to see Your Son in all His glory.

************************************************

We made it! But before we move on to the Good News, we'd love to hear what God is saying to you through His Word. What lingers with you from the first 39 books of the Bible?

1 comment:

Christina Teng said...

I'm overwhelmed and just so glad about being deep into the Word. I look forward to what God will say to me daily. And everytime I'm not in the Word, I know that I desire to be. And mostly, it's what I need...because it draws me closer to God.

What lingers in me is knowing that following the Lord is not about me. Its hard to swallow. But this is the best reminder and truth to go deep into my heart. I want it to be all about Him. I need it to be. Or else I get lost in myself. My deep sin within, my dirty heart, and His overwhelming grace and love- acceptance fo me. God, You are great and simply amazing. Lift up my eyes Lord. I too am ready to see the glory in Your son!