We know why God was bringing judgment on Judah - that's been a long time coming - but what specifically did He have against these pagan nations? Was it idol-worship? Nope.
- Ammon - "Because you cheered when my Sanctuary was desecrated and the land of Judah was devastated and the people of Israel were taken into exile...Because you clapped and cheered, venting all your malicious contempt against the land of Israel" (25:2, 6)
- Moab - "Because Moab said, 'Look, Judah's nothing special'" (25:8)
- Edom - "Because Edom reacted against the people of Judah in spiteful revenge and was so criminally vengeful against them" (25:12)
- Philistia - "Because the Philistines were so spitefully vengeful - all those centuries of stored-up malice! - and did their best to destroy Judah" (25:15)
- Tyre - "Tyre cheered when they got the news of Jerusalem...You boast, Tyre: 'I'm the perfect ship - stately, handsome.'" (26:1, 27:2)
In reality, none of these people are all that different from me. Left to my own devices, I behave in similar ways. More times that I care to admit I have been boastful, happy when bad things happened to others, and desiring revenge against those who have hurt me. Yet I know the Lord and what He says about these things. I am without excuse.
Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord." (Romans 12:19 ESV)
This is what the Lord says: "Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast of this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice, and righteousness on the earth, for in these I delight," declares the Lord. (Jeremiah 9:23-34 NIV)I'm extremely grateful today for my Savior who knows me in all of my weakness and failure, yet loves me and accepts me as I am. No matter how many times I fail to live up to His standard, He comforts and encourages me when I repent.
And I ask him that with both feet planted firmly on love, you'll be able to take in with all followers of Jesus the extravagant dimensions of Christ's love. Reach out and experience the breadth! Test its length! Plumb the depths! Rise to the heights! Live full lives, full in the fullness of God. God can do anything, you know - far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us. (Ephesians 3:18-20)Praying for you and for me today, for living full lives in the fullness of God as the Spirit works deeply and gently within us. Also praying for all of those affected by the wildfires burning in and around Austin. Texas is burning, and we desperately need the Lord to intervene.
1 comment:
When I wake up and know a long day is ahead- its harder for me to sit still and embrace God's love for me. And ask His spirit to fill me. It just seems so much easier to not fully serve Him or give Him my all. Even though I think that these long days, I need to be even more still and surrendered. Because there's more to give Him.
Praying that I would ask His spirit to lead me and fill me. And that I would not act like the Israelites and the others who didn't take God seriously. So many times I make up my own excuses.But instead of fighting Him, when He opens and softens my heart and I choose to repent, I am always comforted and encouraged. All because of Christ's love for me. Makes me want to read "Forgotten God" by Francis Chan soon! Prob next on my book list!
Spirit, lead me. Fill me. Bring me back to the heart of who You are. Take all of me today. and everyday. Thanks for Your love Lord. Help me in the moments where I don't please You, to turn away and turn back to You.
Post a Comment