Followers

Thursday, September 29, 2011

September 29 - Zechariah 1-7: Prisoner of Hope

While it's been a busy month with more travel than usual, it's also been a difficult month because of the adoption. Or more accurately, because of no news on the adoption and a looming six-month match deadline that gets closer everyday.

This adoption process is the.hardest.thing.I've.ever.experienced. I've been trying to take my own advice to struggle well and wait in hope, but the uncertainty of the outcome and crushing feelings of helplessness have knocked the wind out of me. We're in a huge spiritual battle for this child, and most days, it seems like the enemy is winning.

It was in the midst of another cry-fest tonight that I sat down to read Zechariah. I didn't have any preconceived notions - I'm not very familiar with this book - but I was unexpectedly infused with soul-satisfying hope. What a gift! I felt like the Lord was speaking directly to my weary heart, reassuring me that He knows, He sees, and His plan is still moving forward.
...no one had any hope left... (1:21) 
And I'll be right there with her - God's Decree (2:5) 
"Shout and celebrate, Daughter of Zion! I'm on my way. I'm moving into your neighborhood!" God's Decree. (2:10) 
Quiet, everyone! Shh! Silence before God. Something's afoot in his holy house. He's on the move! (3:13)
In Haggai's and Zechariah's time, the Jews felt discouraged and defeated as they faced opposition in rebuilding the Temple. I feel that same way as I try to follow God today and build His temple through this adoption. But God promises that He's on his way. He's on the move! Hallelujah!

Larry Crabb helped me see what that means for me today:
"If you could see right now what is happening in the unseen world, you would be filled with hope. You must trust Me for whatever tastes of glory I choose to provide in this life as you continue to build the temple. You have become a prisoner of hope... 
The hope I provide anchors a weary, empty, troubled soul in My plan. Beneath difficult feelings, hope encourages by giving you reason to persevere with the joy of anticipation. Happiness depends on present blessings, which I do not guarantee. Joy depends on future hope, which I do guarantee... 
Do not expect to feel good. You may. You may not. My work of hope reaches into the center of your soul to strengthen your character and deepen your resolve in any circumstance of life." 66 LL
When we started this blog in January, I was sure that the adoption would be completed by this time. Little did I realize how much the Word of God would provide much-needed encouragement, challenge, and hope throughout this process. Truly, God knows exactly what I need, when I need it.

As I try not to obsess over yesterday's troubles or today's problems (66 LL), Zechariah keeps it simple by reminding me of what God requires:
All this follows as you put your minds to a life of responsive obedience to the voice of God. (6:15) 
Well, the message hasn't changed. God-of-the-Angel-Armies said then and says now: "Treat one another justly. Love your neighbors. Be compassionate with each other. Don't take advantage of widows, orphans, visitors, and the poor. Don't plot and scheme against one another - that's evil." (7:9-10)
I resolve to keep my focus on the voice of God and obey what He says. Despite my circumstances, I choose to live in hope because God is sovereign, and His plan is moving forward. Without demanding the satisfaction of my way, I will believe what I cannot see and live as a prisoner of hope (66 LL), in all aspects of my life, but especially with this adoption.

What about you? Are you living as a prisoner of hope, or have circumstances overwhelmed you? What will it take for you to believe what you cannot see?

3 comments:

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

You are loved Cici
and you drink deep!
God's Promise to you
is to believe in His Goodness
when life happens like this.
God's Promise to you
is to reveal the Goodness of His Love no matter how empty your heart and arms feel.
You reveal the Goodness of God!
You just did!

Amanda McKinley said...

Love the call to be a "prisoner of hope." I hear you, Cici. One of my biggest struggles is to keep persevering in prayer with HOPE, not a since of despair. Especially when I'm not seeing any results or clear answer from the Lord. The following Scripture from 1 Peter has been challenging me to be more HOPEFUL:

Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls. Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming. (1 Peter 1:8, 9, 13 NIV)

May we continue to be prisoners of hope even when our circumstances and feelings tell us otherwise!!!

Lisa said...

Bravo Bev! So well said!

I don't really have a reply to your question Cici. Life is really full of joy for the most part. I think I'm still working on my goal of knowing God and knowing His plans for me at this season. (I have more time available now that Luke is in school.)

I will say that the word "compassion" hit me between the eyes today. I seem to have much more compassion for the women in my life than I do for my husband. Wow! I need help in that area. I feel I am often not as kind and compassionate as I should be to him. I really need God to tranform me in that area.

As always, thanks for sharing your heart Cici. God is doing great things in your life! Seems a little like open heart surgery to me without drugs! :-) Hang in there!