Followers

Friday, September 2, 2011

September 2 - Ezekiel 13-15: The Big Three

'...even if Noah, Daniel and Job - the Big Three - were alive at the time, it wouldn't do the population any good.  Their righteousness would only save their own lives.'  Decree of God, the Master.  (14:13-14)
'Or, if I visit a deadly disease on that country, pouring out my lethal anger, killing both people and animals, and Noah, Daniel and Job happened to be alive at the time, as sure as I am the living God, not a son, not a daughter, would be rescued.' (14:19-20)
Very interesting that God used these three men to illustrate that no human righteousness can save someone.  My expectation would be to hear God use the examples of Abraham,  Jacob or David.  Guys with a little more name recognition and bigger accomplishments to boast.  Instead, God reached far back into history to Noah.  Then, to the present time with Daniel, who was living in exile in Babylon.  And finally to Job, the man who endured great suffering with humility.  Through Jeremiah, God had similarly said, "even if Moses and Samuel stood here and made their case, I couldn't feel a thing for this people." (15:1)

“No,” says God, “though you had [Daniel], who was as eminently good in bad times and places as Noah in the old world and Job in the land of Uz, yet a reprieve should not be obtained.”  (Matthew Henry's commentary)
God was clearly saying then, as He does today:  No person can rescue you.  No one can save you.  No one from the past and no one from the present.  He was addressing the people who had "installed idols in their hearts" and who desperately searched for anyone calling themselves a prophet or a leader to bring salvation and escape from God's impending judgments.

How different are we today?  I know I look to people to "save" me through affirmation, appreciation, meaningful conversation, and meeting my needs.  These things make me feel valid and valued.  I crave that and often internally demand it.  They are idols of entitlement that I have installed in my heart.

So, if God is saying we shouldn't look to spiritual giants for our salvation, Who is God pointing us to?  Who can rescue and save us from His judgment?  We know the answer.
For He made Him who knew ho sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.  (2 Cor. 5:21)
Through Christ and Him alone, I am saved from my own unrighteousness.  Yet, I'm battling with the idols of my heart everyday.
"If your agenda is the end, then Jesus is just the means; you're using him. But if Jesus is the King, you cannot make him a means to your end. You can't come to a king negotiating.  You lay your sword at a king's feet and say, 'Command me.'... But don't forget this:  Jesus is not just a king; he's a king on a cross.  If he were only a king on a throne, you'd submit to him just because you have to.  But he's a king who went to the cross for you.  Therefore you can submit to him out of love and trust.  This means coming to him not negotiating but saying, 'Lord, whatever you ask I will do, whatever you send I will accept.' When someone gave himself utterly for you, how can you not give yourself utterly to him?  Taking up your cross means for you to die to self-determination, die to control of your own life, die to using him for your agenda." (Tim Keller, King's Cross)
Father, I know you're calling me to quit looking to people to "save" me.  You're calling me to die to my determination to receive validation of my identity and agenda from others.  You're calling me to die to any illusions of control that I think I have of my marriage, my children, my family, my circumstances, and my ministry.  You're desire me to quit using you and to enjoy You for Who You are.  You are the king who went to the cross for me.  What other validation do I need?

2 comments:

Christina said...

Daily, I think I understand by His grace, more and more why The King of Kings had to die for me. I don't think I really got how great the good news was when I first heard it, pondered it for months then realized I needed Jesus. I knew the Gospel was good news, but I just didn't know how SWEET it is.

I can not be righteous on my own. The Israelites couldn't be righteous on their own. None of us can. And I don't know how we go on thinking we can. But I do know as my eyes didn't see all of it, and still don't, there are so many around us who are blinded still. And God is choosing us to bring it to them. Our friends, family, coworkers and strangers. He's inviting us into His family through His sign of love and sacrifice. This is really getting to be the best love story ever.

Christina said...

Lord, will You help me to die to myself daily, pick up my cross and follow You? You are where my righteousness stands. Through Your cross. Help me to live for You.