From now on the name of the city will be Yahweh-Shammah: 'God-Is-There' (48:35)The people of God weren't just returning to a physical place or a way of life that they desperately missed. They were being restored to their God, to their true identity as His people. God was calling the Israelites out of exile and back to Himself. He was their true home.
"Whether through denial or despair, the people of God nearly lost their identity as a people of God. But they didn't. God's people emerged from that catastrophic century robust and whole. And the reason, in large part, was Ezekiel." (Eugene Peterson, Intro. to Ezekiel)If I had been exiled from my country, my home, and everything I knew, I think my first thoughts would be about returning to the way of life that I had given up. People, places, food, clothes, comforts that make my life feel like my life. The things that actually feel like my identity. But, if all those things were restored to me, would I feel whole? Would I really feel at home?
For Jesus, it was not the time or the place or people that were His identity. The Father was the center of his identity. Jesus is calling us to let Him be our Yahweh-Shammah, be the God who is there at the center of our lives, the core of our identity.
"It's one thing to have God as a boss, an example, a mentor; but if you want God to be your Savior, you have to replace what you're already looking to as a savior. Everybody's got something. What is it for you?
"If you want to be a Christian, of course you'll repent of your sins. But after you've repented of your sins you'll have to repent of how you have used the good things in your life to fill the place where God should be. If you want intimacy with God, if you want to get over this sense that something is missing, it will have to become God that you love with all your heart, and strength." (Tim Keller, King's Cross)Like the Israelites, we are being called away from the exile of "good things" and called to find our identity solely in Christ. As we finish our reading of Ezekiel, what is it that you're looking to as a savior? Where are you placing your identity other than Christ?
3 comments:
I think for me, I replace my identity in Jesus with my agenda for the day. What I have found that helps me correct is this blog and worship music. I love the reminders given to me in music. I love that I can talk to God about anything at any time. That being said, I fail miserably most days as I get consumed by the mundane. I tell God I want to press into Him and know Him more. He is there but I need to make the time. My will is so often pulled in various directions. Thank you God that you remind me that You are a God who is present and my God of Hope. Your mercies are new for me everyday. Thank you!
God has been painfully making me aware that I'm placing my identity in the value that others' place on me. Feelings of disappointment, misunderstanding, being unknown and unsupported threaten me to the core. They are the 'good things' that I feel I must have in order to keep moving in life. They are the 'saviors' that I look to to validate and give value to who I am. Not God-honoring and very humbling.
I don't know what community I'll find for reading the Bible when this year ends. The quotes from The King's Cross and ending Ezekiel finally has really encouraged me today.
This past week I haven't been feeling well at all. And I've realized its so easy to choose sleep, food and tv shows instead of drawing closer to Him. It doesn't make sense. These aren't my Saviors. And I don't want my identity found in these things. Looking forward to digging deeper and finding more fight for my First love from Him. Praying for this now because I can't do it alone. Thank you women after Gods heart.
Post a Comment