As I mentioned in my last post, the girls go back to school this week. And it seems too hard. Too hard to restart the schedule. Too hard to let them go. Too hard to meet all of the academic, extracurricular, and social demands. Too hard to help them process all of the influences on their hearts and minds during the school year. Actually, it just feels too hard for me on this side of a new school year. After the beginning of each school year, I feel the parental pride and joy that comes from watching my children grow into a new challenge. I know I'll get to that place emotionally, but right now it just feels too hard.
Ah, Lord God! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and outstretched arm. There is nothing too hard for You. (32:17, NKJV)
Or, as stated in the Message version,
I am God, the God of everything living. Is there anything I can't do? (32:17)
Ooh - ooh. I know the answer to this question. At least I know the Sunday School answer. But, do I live the Gospel answer?
With men it is impossible, but not with God, for with God all things are possible. (Mark 10:27, NKJV)
Jesus said this in response to the rich young ruler's choosing his own religion and refusing the gospel.
"This young man's problem is... his sense that he doesn't need the grace of God. Christians, you see, are people who know that their Christianity is impossible, a miracle - there's nothing natural about it, it flies in the face of all one's merits. Everybody has to recognize that we have been resting our hopes on some form of personal merit. And it's our personal merit, our moral worth, that keeps us from understanding the cross." (Tim Keller, King's Cross)
Father, I read so many covenants and promises in these chapters of Jeremiah. You promise restoration, marvels, wonders, healing and more. But I don't see it or at least not that much of it. Israel is still a desolate, desperate nation. I am still a desolate, desperate person living in a terribly broken world. You say that it's not too hard for You and I believe that. But, it's way too hard for me.
"I make no promise to protect you from suffering in this world. I do promise the power to believe in My goodness when bad things happen, the power to hope with confidence that a good plan is unfolding when nothing visible supports that hope, and the power to reveal the goodness of My love no matter how distraught or empty you feel, even to those who contribute to your distress and emptiness. That is the abundance I promise until you arrive at My party." (66 LL)
3 comments:
I'm becoming more aware of the fact that I know much more intellectually than I'm actually experiencing in my walk with the Lord. I can relate to your feelings, Staci. There's a lot that feels too hard for me as well, and I wonder if I have the courage to move forward. (But most of it, I don't really have a choice...)
Loved the quote from Tim Keller. When the weight of responsibility seems heavy on my shoulders, I know that I have quit focusing on God and His power and have fallen back into resting on my own merit, on what I can do. I've somehow lost my focus on the Gospel and on Christ's power in me.
In the midst of the death and destruction in these chapters, a few verses about who God is stood out to me:
Great and powerful God, named God-of-the-Angel-Armies, determined in purpose and relentless in following through, you see everything that men and women do and respond appropriately to the way they live, to the things they do. (32:19)
This is God's Message, the God who made earth, made it livable and lasting, known everywhere as God: "Call to me and I will answer you. I'll tell you marvelous and wondrous things that you could never figure out on your own." (33:2-3)
The last word is, I will have mercy on them. (33:26)
I hope y'all have a great Sunday. We're headed to a different church today to celebrate a friend's baptism. I mentioned this friend in our small group awhile ago, about him coming to Christ. We're so excited to be there as he obeys God's command. Yay, God!
Thank You so much for your post this morning. I related to it so much, I thought did I write this?
And to be reminded of what scripture says
"I make no promise to protect you from suffering in this world. I do promise the power to believe in My goodness when bad things happen, the power to hope with confidence that a good plan is unfolding when nothing visible supports that hope, and the power to reveal the goodness of My love no matter how distraught or empty you feel, even to those who contribute to your distress and emptiness. That is the abundance I promise until you arrive at My party." (66 LL)
Gave so much peace...
Hi Stacey! Glad you're on the blog and would love to know more of you and your life - feel free to email me at freyfam at sbcglobal dot net.
Post a Comment