Followers

Thursday, August 18, 2011

August 18 - Jeremiah 23-25: God Told Me This

"Instead of claiming to know what God says, ask questions of one another, such as 'How do we understand God in this?' But don't go around pretending to know it all, saying 'God told me this...God told me that...'  I don't want to hear it anymore...You can ask the prophets, 'How did God answer you? What did he tell you?'...I'm telling you: Quit the 'God told me this...God told me that...' kind of talk.(23:35-38)
I almost laughed out loud when I read this passage. It immediately reminded me of an experience a few years ago when I was pregnant with my first child. Someone who wasn't happy about my pregnancy (long story) told me, very seriously, that she had come to terms with my news. Oh, and "God told her" that I was going to have a son. Imagine how not-shocked I was when our sweet daughter, Claire, was born later that year.

Truthfully, when I hear the words "God told me" I'm naturally skeptical. In my experience, some people who say that tend to over-spiritualize things, even their own sin. While I absolutely believe that God does still speak to us today - through prayer, His Word, godly people, and circumstances - I've seen people use that phrase almost as a trump card. As in,"you can't tell me I'm wrong or off-base because GOD TOLD ME."

I'm actually chuckling as I write this. Since this phrase is a pet peeve of mine, I think it's pretty hilarious that it's in the Bible. I've never read Jeremiah in The Message version, so I went and looked it up in other translations, thinking "how in the world did I miss this?!?" :-) What I discovered is that the wording of the NIV passage ("the oracle of the Lord") doesn't affect me as deeply as does The Message wording. THIS speaks to me!

But in all seriousness, what I take away from this passage is that I must be careful with my words as well. On one hand, I want to be open to the Lord speaking to me, and on the other hand, I need to humbly admit that I don't always hear God perfectly. I am not a prophet of God in anyone else's life, and I don't know the future. Yes, I may have strong opinions, even opinions based firmly on Scripture, but I must acknowledge that I don't know God's specific will for every situation. I often default to saying, "I sense that God is telling me..." It leaves a little more room for the possibility that I didn't accurately hear the Lord or that my own desires got in the way.

However, I appreciate the direction that Jeremiah gives. Rather than arrogantly assuming I already know everything, He tells me to ask questions of others, such as "How do I understand God in this?" I can do that! There's no expectation that I speak authoritatively for God or that I understand everything on my own.

And that's why it's so important for me to be in community with godly followers of Christ, with those who have a high view of Scripture. These people help me understand the Scriptures and how to authentically live out God's call in my life. I'm blessed to have a godly husband and group of friends in my daily life who challenge me, encourage me, and love and support me in spite of my many failures. They ask questions and speak God's truth in love, not letting me get away with over-spiritualizing or minimizing my sin or pretending to be something I'm not.

While I started off this post by laughing about what someone said to me, I confess that I'm guilty in many ways of the same thing, such as when I pridefully judge others spirituality (or lack thereof) as if I sit in the place of God.

Another day to be humbled by the truth that God shows me about myself...sigh.

No comments: