What I concluded was I would consider my life a success if, when I was old, I could look back on my life and have no regrets. The only problem was that I had no idea what that kind of life looked like, and that really bothered me. There were too many options, and because I didn't know Christ, I had no clue how to decide which one would lead me to where I wanted to go. It felt like I was adrift in a very large ocean, and I know now that I was.
I think that's why Psalm 119 speaks to me. It lays out the path of life, how to stay the course for a lifetime, how to live free of regrets. It doesn't promise an easy life; there will be troubles and testing. (119:71, 75) But I'm inspired by the psalmist's single-minded and passionate pursuit of God, particularly through the map of His Word.
As I pondered this prayer, I realized that I can learn a lot, both from what the psalmist commits to do for himself and from what he's boldly asking God to do for him. Can I honestly say these are true of me?
What the psalmist is doing/has done:
I've banked your promises in the vault of my heart (119:11)
I ponder every morsel of wisdom from you (119:15)
I relish everything you've told me of life, I won't forget a word of it (119:16)
My soul is starved and hungry, ravenous! - insatiable for your nourishing commands (119:20)
I'll run the course you lay out for me (119:2)
I trusted your Word (119:42)
Your commandments are what I depend on (119:43)
I look for your truth and wisdom (119:46)
I cherish your commandments - oh, how I love them! - relishing every fragment of your counsel (119:48)
I hang on to these words for dear life! (119:49)
Yes, your promises rejuvenate me (119:50)
I watch for your ancient landmark words (119:52)
I meditate on your name all night, God, treasuring your revelation, O God (119:55)
I live by your Word and counsel (119:56)
I promise to do everything you say (119:57)
Not for a minute did I forget your plan for me (119:61)
I get up in the middle of the night to thank you (119:62)
I'm thoroughly committed to living your way (119:66)
I'm in step with your Word (119:67)
I focus my attention on what you are saying (119:69)
I kept my mind on your counsel (119:78)
I'm waiting for your word of hope (119:81)
I keep a steady gaze on the instructions you post (119:83)
I haven't relaxed my grip on your counsel (119:87)What the psalmist is asking of God:
Train me in your ways of wise living (119:12)
Be generous with me (119:17)
Give me clear directions (119:19)
Train me well in your deep wisdom (119:26)
Build me up again by your Word (119:28)
Grace me with your clear revelation (119:29)
Teach me lessons for living so I can stay the course (119:33)
Give me insight so I can do what you tell me (119:34)
Guide me down the road of your commandments (119:35)
Give me a bent for your words of wisdom (119:36)
Divert my eyes from toys and trinkets (119:37)
Affirm your promises to me (119:38)
Deflect the harsh words of my critics (119:39)
Don't ever deprive me of truth, not ever (119:43)
Train me to live by your counsel (119:64)
Train me in good common sense (119:66)
Train me in your goodness (119:68)
In your great love revive me so I can alertly obey your every word (119:88)Much about this psalm challenges and intrigues me, both for myself and in raising my children. God's Word should rightfully be the bedrock of my life, and I need to plant the Word deeply into my daughters' hearts. Also, I'm realizing that I don't use words like cherish, treasure, insatiable, ravenous, and relish when I think or talk about God's Word. Have I missed something in my relationship with God, or am I just wired differently? I really don't know.
The words of this psalm - and the psalmist's passionate heart - challenge me to pray more boldly and passionately - to commit myself more fully to the Lord and to unashamedly ask Him for what I need.
1 comment:
Psalm 119 challenges me as well - to evaluate how I view God's Word. I don't speak of it as the psalmist does, as though it's my very life, as though I'm ravenous for it. I love food (sadly, it's an addiction I struggle with) so I identify deeply with the words starved, hungry, ravenous. It gives me context for how the psalmist felt about God's commands. They're his sustainment, energy, life, nourishment, enjoyment. I can't say that I would use those words to describe my attitude towards God's love letter to me.
Post a Comment