Followers

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July 5 - Psalms 108-114: When God Speaks, Things Happen

"The most popular psalm in the New Testament is Psalm 110, quoted seven times and alluded to fifteen times. No other psalm comes close. The community of first-century Christians pondered, discussed, memorized, and meditated on this psalm.
The psalm established its eminence in the early Christian community by centering the self in the God who speaks. Believers knew that they were in a messed-up world and that something had to be done about it. They also knew that their good works and good intentions were flawed in such a way that they only made things worse. Yet they knew that this didn't disqualify them from the work. They had been drawn into what God was doing in Christ to establish his will "on earth as it is in heaven" (Matthew 6:10)
How were they to do it? They prayed Psalm 110. It shaped their understanding of who they were and what their place in the world was by what it declared that world to be - a world where, when God speaks, things happen." Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 891
It makes me think about what I allow to shape my understanding of who I am and what my place in the world is. Do the things and people that truly influence me declare that this is a world when, when God speaks, things happen?

That's not what our culture tells us. Sadly, most of our Christian community doesn't live like that's the truth, and I often don't live that way either.

But this prophetic picture of Jesus Christ, written by David almost a thousand years prior to the birth of Christ, tells us that things are not what they seem. This world is not what our culture tells us it is. In this psalm, God tells us that there will be a great day of His conquest; that He gave His word and He won't take it back; that the ultimate victory is the Lord's; that Jesus will rule the world.

So what would happen if I also pondered, discussed, memorized, and meditated on this psalm? I don't know exactly, but I'm going to see. I'm not trying to be legalistic about it, but I believe it will shape my understanding as well and allow me to see my place in God's world.

Lord, give me the faith to believe that You are the God who speaks things into being, that when you speak, things happen. When circumstances are so out of my control, as they are with the adoption, I'm tempted to wonder if You notice, if You'll do anything about it. I don't want to doubt You, Lord. Help me to see my circumstances with Your eternal perspective.

2 comments:

Christina said...

Hi Cici, Staci and everyone,

missed you sisters. a lot.
sorry ive been m.i.a. readjusting to home has been crazy as im back for the summer before i return to a 2nd year of int. missions. but i realized more than ever how being connected to this blog helps me to be accountable and stay on track for reading the Bible in a year. The enemy doesn't want me or you to. But God's on our side :) so im back and i need and want to do this together. im almost caught up- but want to jump right back in anyways! :)

Thanks again for your faithfulness in being here and continuing on for this year. so amazing to learn and read with women who love the Lord, and thirst for His word and are open and share wisdom and are genuine!! It's so refreshing. Thank you.

Love the PSALMS!! I have been praying them out lately. Today my heart is crying out:

ps 112:6,8 Surely the righteous will never be shaken...their hearts are steadfast...their hearts are secure. (I ask my heart to be this way, I ask God to help lead my heart to Him)

ps 117: short and sweet and true! His love has taken over our lives, God's faithful ways are eternal!

and all of ps 118! Thank God because He's good because his love never quits. His love endures forever!! You are my God and I will praise You.

Praying for this thirst for the Word to be quenched by soaking in His Word and a God-given worshipful in all things heart after Him. Praise the Lord, His love endures forever. He's so good :)

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

The Peterson quotes touches deep places in me. "When God speaks, things happen." Psa 109:23 is my testimony: I am shaken off like a locust." The LORD has something to say and sends forth His Power. I know I'm far worse in what I've done than anyone thinks I am. Romans 7 says evil resides in all of us. Resident! But my God has done something lasting about that. All I can deal with is my stuff and what do I need to "let go" of this day, forever? Loved this Peterson entry. My LORD sends and shatters. The LORD is at your right hand. Unbelievable. I need to press in and up and fall forward and repent and deal with what's in my own heart as He executes judgment.