Followers

Sunday, July 31, 2011

July 31 - Isaiah 13-17: Only Those Who Know

"One of the problems with pride is that we can see it in others but not in ourselves." Jerry Bridges, Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate
This week, I had a strong, internal reaction to prideful comments by someone else. I silently condemned what I saw as their resistance to authority, especially spiritual authority, and their unteachable attitude. In his book, Jerry Bridges calls these two qualities "the pride of an independent spirit."

Isn't it funny that the things that irritate us about other people are often qualities in ourselves that we dislike? As I reflected on the situation, I realized that I suffer from the same disease - the pride of an independent spirit. (Obviously, there are plenty of other flavors of pride.)

This situation came to mind as I read about God's judgment on Babylon, Philistia, Moab, and Damascus. Babylon, Philistia, and Moab were judged for their pride, and the consequences were severe:
Watch now, God's Judgment Day comes. (13:9)
Proud humanity will disappear from the earth. (13:13)
Wail and howl, proud city! (14:30)
We've heard - everyone's heard! - of Moab's pride, world-famous pride - arrogant, self-important, insufferable, full of hot air. (16:6)
As I read these words of Isaiah and consider my own offensive pride, I recall a couple of other important verses that speak about God's attitude toward the proud and the humble:
God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.  James 4:6
Good and upright is the Lord; therefore he instructs sinners in his ways. He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them his way.  Psalms 25:8-9
The most natural thing for me to do is to pretend that I'm not prideful, especially if I can make sure I look pretty good on the outside. But as is usually the case, those closest to me experience my sin, and I'm not really hiding it at all. I'm a mess, and my family knows it.

I feel like God is leading me to confess the reality of my deep unholiness no matter how much I prefer to ignore it or minimize it. His love is compelling me to bring myself and all my messiness to Him so that He can change me. That includes my sins of pride, arrogance, and judgment of other.
"My love makes people holy. Only those who know they are unholy, who hate their unholiness more than their pain and emptiness, experience the transforming power of My love. Only holy people live well. Only holy people love....You cannot detach holiness from love. Love is reduced to mere sentiment when people fail to see their unholiness. And mere sentiment changes no one." 66 LL
Tell them, "God has established Zion. Those in need and in trouble find refuge in her." (14:32)
Lord, have mercy. I'm in desperate need and in trouble. I pray You'll speak Your words of comfort and hope to me.

1 comment:

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Sounds like some humble comments from you, Cici.

Isa 14:24 means something to me tonight right where I am. God-of-the-Angel-Armies speaks:
"Exactly as I planned,
it will happen.
Following my blueprints,
it will take shape."
God has intended for all to happen in my life "as is" ... and so it will stand!