Followers

Sunday, July 3, 2011

July 3 - Psalms 103-105: Ever and Always

We had a birthday party for the girls yesterday. There's nothing quite like an outside party on July 2nd in Texas! It seemed like a good idea when I originally planned it; I thought the ridiculous 100+ degree weather would be gone. Um, not so much. While the parents were sweating profusely, the kids had a blast in the pools and bounce house.

Before I had kids, I would have laughed in your face had you told me what I would do for my children. You see, I'm the girl who doesn't like to sweat. Seriously. I've shared before that I'm the selfish one who who prefers that the world revolve around me.

Even so, I was very excited about the party and thrilled that my girls were having so much fun with their cousins and friends. It made every bit of effort totally worth it, and I'd do it all over again just to see the joy on their faces. I love these precious girls more than I could ever adequately express.

After the party, I sat quietly in my air-conditioned bedroom and read the Psalms. It's funny how often God speaks to my circumstances, especially in the Psalms. Not surprisingly, 103:13 jumped right out at me:
As parents feel for their children, God feels for those who fear him.
Even as a sinful parent who makes mistakes daily, I would do anything for my children. It wasn't until I had kids of my own that I actually felt that kind of sacrificial, all-encompassing love. It is overwhelming, unlike anything I've ever experienced. When Claire was born, it caught me so off-guard that I asked my Mom, "Do you feel that way about me??" She just nodded and smiled at me.

And God says He feels the same way about me. Incredible! He's the Perfect Father whose love is pure and holy and complete. I've done nothing to deserve it. And His love is infinitely more than the love I have for my kids because it is eternal. Verse 103:17 says:
God's love, though, is ever and always, eternally present to all who fear him.
This is the kind of Father we have! He's eternally present. He loves us ever and always. It's not based on our performance. This is one of the many reasons the psalmist says:
O my soul, bless God, don't forget a single blessing! (103:2)
"If...we forget God's blessings, we'll only be able to see our own efforts at making the best of a bad situation, only see our own haphazard attempts at capitalizing on the chances available to us. If we forget his blessings, we slip into what psychologists label "sensory deprivation," and we become deaf, dumb, and blind to the flourishing miracle of God at work, not only in the catastrophic circumstances of our lives, but also in the casual circumstances." Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 881.
Lord, may I not forget any of your blessings, especially in my casual circumstances. May I not take anything you give for granted. Thank You for Your unfathomable love for me and how You've enabled me to love my children. Lord, thank You for all You've done for me. Thank You for the gift of Your Eternal Presence.
Keep your eyes open for God, watch for his works; be alert for signs of his presence. (105:4)

2 comments:

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

I have 2 minutes on the computer---go! Loved the verse you posted Psa 105:4. "Keep your eyes open for God, watch for his works; be alert for signs of his presence." Am I seeing God in my present circumstances that loom large and are devastating to me? John could recognize Jesus in the miracle when Jesus appeared to them in the last chapter of John and helped the hungry fisherman catch 153 fish. Peter couldn't recognize Jesus on the shore even in a miracle. I'm so like that---I don't see the miracles in midst of my loss. May God open all of our eyes to see from His Perspective! This is my last day with extended family at the condo in Florida. Been interesting to say the least. Haven't been able to get on blogger with 12 hopefuls on one computer and one ethernet. I'm spending the night in Alabama with friends and driving back home on the 4th! Can't wait to see my youngest who turned 20 yesterday. No more teenagers in my home! Sigh! I'll miss that so. Happy Fourth of July! I'll whisper a prayer ~Psalm 105:4~ that your time with your families is full of God's presence and you see Him! Love!

Judy Moore said...

Another song about blessings that I discovered a couple of days ago to share with my blogger sisters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CSVqHcdhXQ

Have a lovely 4th!