God spoke strongly to me, grabbed me with both hands and warned me not to go along with this people. He said: "Don't be like this people, always afraid somebody is plotting against them. Don't fear what they fear. Don't take on their worries. If you're going to worry, worry about The Holy. Fear God-of-the-Angel-Armies. The Holy can be either a Hiding Place or a Boulder blocking your way. (8:11-13)That got my attention. I confess I've been worrying lately. Of course, I don't call it worrying. "What? ME worry??" I'm "concerned" or "stressed" or "in a funk," but the truth is that I am worried about the adoption. In my weaker moments, I'm afraid that it won't happen, which will be devastating. And frankly, given that the adoption is such a game-changer for us, it seems normal to be worried on some level, doesn't it?
But the Lord strongly warns Isaiah to not be like this people, fearful and worrying. Perhaps I should take this to heart.
I know where worrying will lead me. Nowhere constructive. If I continue down this path, my eyes will be firmly set on people and what they might do or on what I can do to change the situation. But God says I should worry about Him, which sounds a little strange.
For me, it's another reminder that my eyes must be on the Lord, not on my circumstances. God is the One who controls everything in this adoption, even though it appears that humans are making all of the decisions that affect us. Truthfully, God is either the Hiding Place - my refuge in this confusing time - or He's the Boulder blocking the way to our daughter. It's not the Rwandan government or anybody else standing in our path, no matter how it appears or feels.
"[Jesus] urges us to keep our minds filled with the concept of God's control over everything, which means that a disciple must maintain an attitude of perfect trust and an eagerness to ask and to seek...it works on the following principle: God is my Father, He loves me, and I will never think of anything that He will forget, so why should I worry?...Not even the smallest detail of life happens unless God's will is behind it. Therefore, you can rest in perfect confidence in Him." Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His HighestThis devotional from My Utmost has been incredibly helpful lately, reminding me to refocus on the Lord when circumstances become big and He seems small. I don't want to refuse to trust God when life is rough or to desire anything more than God - not even my daughter in Rwanda. As I'm learning from Isaiah, those are the very people on whom God pronounces the severest judgment. 66 LL
"Prophets train us in discerning the difference between the ways of the world and the ways of the gospel, keeping us present to the Presence of God." Eugene Peterson, Intro to the Prophets
Plan and plot all you want - nothing will come of it. All your talk is mere talk, empty words, because when all is said and done, the last word is Immanuel - God-With-Us. (8:10)
2 comments:
I continue to be surprised at what God leads me to write about in each post. I decided to comment this morning because 7:10-13 really jumped out at me as well.
God told Ahaz to ask for a sign from Him, but Ahaz refuses! And does so in a very spiritual sounding way. "I'd never make demands like that on God!" Really, Ahaz? You'd rather disobey a direct command from the God of the Universe that do what He asks? I don't get it. God was being very generous with Ahaz, and in the end, gave Him the sign anyway.
How often do I do that? Think I"m being ohsospiritual but in reality, I"m just disobeying God and missing out on the blessing He has for me?? I need to remember that it's not something to be proud of; it's sin. I appreciated that Isaiah called it what it is - pious, timid hypocrisies.
In the year King Uzziah died, Isa 6:1---Isaiah was devastated and focused way too much on this successful king reigning 52 years. But, look what happened to Isaiah --- a fresh new look at the Glory of God cause he dealt w/his unholiness. Getting ready to go on a walk w/tears cause I'm so dealing w/ this --- being too attached to mature people, strong people, good people. God is detaching me from anything that brings me Joy other than Him. And I so want connection that He's not providing. Isa 8:14 ~ If you're going to worry, worry about The Holy. Fear God-of-the-Angel-Armies. The Holy can be either a Hiding Place or a Boulder blocking your way.
I always comment before I read yours. So often it's the same verses. Cici, I think your adoption comments provoke the Infinite Tenderness of the God to Whom you bring so much delight cause you want to care for a little girl on the other side of the world---a fresh, unheard of, unwanted Image of God. He hears you and it's beautiful.
Post a Comment