Followers

Friday, July 15, 2011

July 15 - Proverbs 7-9: Lady Wisdom's Invitation

"[B]efore the five hundred proverbs are dumped on us like so many tools from a toolbox, we're introduced to Wisdom. Wisdom is personified as a woman who is at God's side as a master worker. She stands beside God as the one who puts everything into place, who makes sure everything fits (8:30). She knows where to put each piece of material so that the result will be a beautifully built life, not just a scrap heap of so many warped days and weathered years." Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 943
I've been intrigued by how Solomon brings wisdom to life, as a lady contrasted with a whore or a temptress. The vivid descriptions of each woman had me nodding my head in agreement as I read these chapters.
I am Lady Wisdom, and I live next to Sanity; Knowledge and Discretion live just down the street...Good counsel and common sense are my characteristics; I am both Insight and the Virtue to live it out. (8:12, 14)
Then there's this other woman, Madame Whore - brazen, empty-headed, frivolous..."Are you confused about life, don't know what's going on? Steal off with me, I'll show you a good time! No one will ever know - I'll give you the time of your life." (9:13, 16)
This may have jumped out at me because I was in Las Vegas last weekend. It was a fun (and tame) milestone birthday celebration for a good friend, but wow, it's no wonder that Vegas is called Sin City. It's disheartening to see what people are willing to do, thinking that they're having fun or satisfying some need in their life. I'm sure I only saw the tip of the iceberg, but it made me sad nonetheless. It's all the gambling, shopping, eating, and debauchery a person could want; in fact, that lifestyle is celebrated and encouraged. You know, "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas," as if there are no consequences.

Yet, Proverbs shows us a different path, a better way:
Mark a life of discipline and live wisely; don't squander your precious life. (8:33)
When you find me, you find life, real life, to say nothing of God's good pleasure. (8:35)
Skilled living gets its start in the Fear-of-God, insight into life from knowing a Holy God. (9:10)
Live wisely and wisdom will permeate your life; mock life and life will mock you. (9:12)
"Every day in our lives there are new circumstances intersecting with the will of God to which we need to respond. There are options to be considered, choices to be made, habits to be practiced, skills to be acquired.
It is to each of us that the two women in this chapter speak their invitations.
Following identical words of invitation, there's a contrast in what is offered. Lady Wisdom's invitation is to a banquet, a feast. The atmosphere is free and festive.
In contrast, Dame Folly's invitation isn't so much an invitation as it is a seduction. Her offerings are shrouded in lies. There are dark corners, hidden pleasures, shadowy delights." Conversations, pg. 946
Yep, that folly part sounds like Vegas - dark corners, hidden pleasures, shadowy delights. But if I'm honest, this doesn't happen only in Las Vegas. Every day of my life I have to decide: Will I choose Wisdom or Folly? Will I cover my sin in darkness or bring it into the light? Will I follow God's ways or go my own way because I know better?
"In each case, the choice is clear: wisdom or folly, goodness or wickedness, life or death. The choice is ours. And so are the consequences." Conversations, pg. 946
************************************************************
It didn't work itself out in my post, but I wanted to share that we have finally received official word from the Rwandan government. We are approved to adopt a child from their country!

Yesterday our attorney found out that our approval letter has been signed, and now we wait to see the letter with our own eyes - hopefully today.

Please pray for our daughter and whoever is caring for her. Since we don't know who she is, we don't know if she's been born or is already in an orphanage. But God knows every detail about her (Ps. 139:15), and we trust His goodness and grace.

We're excited and grateful today. There are still plenty of hurdles we need to clear before she can join our family, but right now, we are praising God, the Father of orphans, who makes homes for the homeless. (Ps. 68:5, 6) We covet your prayers for the remaining steps in this long process.

2 comments:

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Oh Cici! With a tear running down my eye, I say congratulations on your new little girl. Deut 6:6 ~ what's on your heart is what you are passing on to your girls, the whole secret of parenting! And its a Beautiful Heart amid all the noise of life. As Peterson said: "A beautifully built life" and the last chapter has not been written! So very happy for your family! This little one will be marked for the rest of her life. Praying Isa 40:2 that He lowers every mountain you all face as you glorify Him even in this!

Lisa said...

Thanks for the update on the adoption. I have been wandering about this as you have described in the blog that you had been going through a tough time. I was wondering if you were unable to proceed with the adoption. Love hour blog and all the sharing. I'm growing in knowing Him better through it.