Followers

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

June 28 - Psalms 78-79: Passing It Along

It has been a new experience hanging out and rubbing shoulders with so many families of cross-cultural workers.  We have absolutely loved it and especially the exposure our girls are getting to the other kids who are really living in the field and all their different circumstances.  One very obvious trait of these families is that they are passing along a global mindset, a sacrificial heart, and an adventurous spirit to their kids, as well as a love for Christ.
So the next generation would know, and all the generations to come -- know the truth and tell the stories so their children can trust in God... (78:6-7)
What strikes me about this statement is what follows in the remainder of the psalm.  The writer, Asaph, totally lays out the history of Israel - the good, the bad, and the ugly.  God's faithfulness, the Israelite's bullheadedness.  God's miracles, the Israelite's repeated disobedience.  This wasn't a funeral eulogy where only the positive memories were spoken.  The psalmist considered the whole truth as important to pass down.  He believed that honesty and authenticity were critical for their children to place their trust in God.

Which makes me ask - what am I passing on to my girls?  Are they only hearing the romantic notion of living a life surrendered to Christ?  Or the whole story (appropriately told!) about the difficulties often faced when following Christ?  Do they only hear about the ark and the rainbow - or do they hear of the people's horrendous sin and the long patience of a holy God?  Are they listening to stories about the sweet baby Jesus in the manager as well as the crucified Christ on the cross?

I hope they are hearing the whole truth of God's story and my story (again appropriately told for their ages!)  This requires authenticity and honesty on my part about God's marvels and my weaknesses.   I was reminded yesterday of Paul's profession of weaknesses to his disciples:
If I must boast, I will boast in the things which concern my weakness.  (2 Cor. 11:30) 
My grace is enough; it's all you need. 
My strength comes into its own in your weakness.
Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ's strength moving in on my weakness.
(2 Cor. 12:9)

For though He was crucified in weakness, yet He lives by the power of God.  For we also are weak in Him, but we shall live with Him by the power of God toward you. (2 Cor. 13:4)
Paul shared his whole history - not just the nice parts - and in that is where God was glorified.  For me, it requires first the recognition of my weaknesses and then living out of them in order to pass the whole truth along.
Many avoid the path of self-knowledge because they are afraid of being swallowed up in their own abysses.  But Christians have confidence that Christ has lived through all the abysses of human life and that He goes with us when we dare to engage in sincere confrontation with ourselves.  (Richard Rohr)

2 comments:

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Psalm 78:13 Split the seas and piled the waters right and left. These people could never be the same again...but...just like you and me this "missed" God. Change is not only possible but predominant in the lives of people like Saul and Peter after Jesus came on The Other Side. We have that Counselor, that Spirit. As you close your days, Staci, may God use you to bring about lasting change to your new friends that's not only possible but predominant to hearts who ask, who seek, who knock. Who let go of power and prestige. Who live for another world. Praying you all leave stunned by Him.

Cici said...

I so want my kids to know, love, and serve the Lord, so I read this one along the same lines you did, Staci.

I wonder what my kids are going to see in my life that draws them to Christ, IF it will draw them to Christ. (For some reason, their salvation seems like a bigger deal to me than mine does!)

While their salvation is solely God's doing, I know that my witness is a huge influence on my kids - whether I live an authentic, godly life, or if I tell them to "do what I say, not what I do." If my life is a show for others or if it's an honest, vibrant relationship with my God. The recognition of my influence certainly helps to motivate me to seek the Lord with all my heart.

The verses in Psalm 78 that really jumped out at me were 35-37:
They gave witness that God was their rock, that High God was their redeemer, but they didn't mean a word of it; they lied through their teeth the whole time. They could not have cared less about him, wanted nothing to do with his Covenant.

May God never say the same thing about me!