Elihu's on a roll. More truth and error, truth and error. I find that I really have to think as I'm reading his diatribe, asking God if Elihu's statements are true or false. It feels a little like a test.
God's not dependent on your behavior. (35:6) True
People are arrogantly indifferent to God - until, of course, they're in trouble, and then God is indifferent to them. (35:12) Um, true and false
He never takes his eyes off the righteous (36:7) True
If [the righteous] obey and serve [God], they'll have a good, long life on easy street. (36:11) False (how I wish it were true!)
But those who learn from their suffering, God delivers from their suffering. (36:15) False (but again, how I wish!)
Elihu arrogantly hammers Job, confident in his version of the truth, and concludes his speech with a magnificent description of God at work in nature.
"The conclusion to Elihu's speech is doxology by a master. He praised God extravagantly and accurately. In any other context this would have been admired and extolled. But as a speech to one who is suffering, it was ruinously insensitive.
We can speak too much about God, as odd as that may sound. Especially when we speak to those who are suffering. Silence is often more eloquent than speech, and tears more effective than theology." Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 763
A good reminder for someone wired like me - a fixer who is uncomfortable with awkward silence and/or too much emotion.
Be not rash with your mouth, nor let your heart be hasty to utter a word before God, for God is in heaven and you are on earth. Therefore let your words be few. Ecclesiastes 5:2
1 comment:
I've had several intense conversations with suffering friends today, people in some really tight places. One friend asked me for help with the right words for her to say. I told her that however inadequate/ineffective our words are, she has Divine Power mighty to produce a rise in faith, ours and theirs. Thinking tonight as I read these words in Job: Whom do I seek? Solutions or my Risen Savior? John 20:15
Post a Comment