Followers

Sunday, May 8, 2011

May 8 - 1 Chronicles 22-24: All In

Then [David] called in Solomon his son and commanded him to build a sanctuary for the God of Israel. (22:6)
It's near the end of David's life, and he appears to be getting his affairs in order. Although David wanted "in the worst way to build a sanctuary to honor" God, David knew God was giving that privilege to his son, Solomon.

Rather than complaining about it, David focuses on helping the effort by preparing a huge stockpile of building materials. He understands and accepts that it's God's decision, not his. In fact, he orders Israel's leaders to help Solomon build the Temple:
My part in this was to put down the enemies, subdue the land to God and his people; your part is to give yourselves, heart and soul, to praying to your God. So get moving - build the sacred house of worship to God! (22:18)
I guess I'm a little surprised at how gracious David is. I'm afraid I might harbor some resentment at how things turned out. "Oh great. It was my idea. But I get to all the prep work, and he gets to do the fun stuff."

But David doesn't do that. He encourages both his son and the leaders of Israel and sets them up to succeed with all of his preparations. David's goal is to honor his God, not feed his own ego or insecurities. What a novel concept!

Wouldn't it be amazing if - in everything in my life - my goal was, truly, to honor God? If selfish, 'how will this impact me' thoughts weren't the first thing to come to mind? If jealousy or resentment didn't creep subtly into my heart? If I didn't wonder what other people - husband, parents, friends, siblings, etc. - would think?

Since David was a real person, with a sinful nature just like mine, I know it's possible to live this way. But it is completely counter-cultural. Dare I say, radical?? We don't seem many examples like him, even in the Bible.

But I know it doesn't start with my actions, or trying harder to be better. It starts with Jesus and allowing Him to live His life in and through me. It starts with an undivided, fully-surrendered heart to the Lord. And then He determines where it goes from there. And the more I understand just how much my God loves me, the more exciting that sounds to me, like an amazing adventure of a lifetime.

Lord, I'm in! All in.

Happy Mother's Day, my friends, but especially to my own precious Mom. I love you!

1 comment:

Staci said...

Happy Mother's Day to all of you who love on children whether or not they're yours and who support other moms!

And for those who long for the loving presence of a mom in their lives, God's words to Solomon are a sweet reminder, "[You'll] be my royal adopted [daughter]..." 1 Chronicles 22:15