Followers

Friday, May 6, 2011

May 6 - 1 Chronicles 15-17: A Heart Far From God

In my mind's eye, I have an image of King David "dancing ecstatically" in the streets of Jerusalem as the Israelites are transporting the Chest of God. In this day and age, it's hard to imagine one of our world leaders acting in such an undignified way, given that political correctness and others' opinions rule our culture.

But David didn't seem to care. He didn't hold back. In fact, he led the party!
David, the elders of Israel, and the commanders of thousands started out to get the Chest of the Covenant of God...And they went rejoicing...They were all dressed in elegant linen...On they came, all Israel on parade bringing up the Chest of the Covenant of God, shouting and cheering, playing every kind of brass and percussion and string instrument. (15:25-28)
Yet there was one person, we're told, who wasn't joining in the celebration.

Michal. David's wife.
Michal, Saul's daughter, was watching from a window. When she saw King David dancing ecstatically she was filled with contempt. (15:29)
Michal, Saul's daughter, happened to be looking out a window. When she saw King David leaping and dancing before God, her heart filled with scorn. (2 Samuel 6:16)
And she didn't just think these thoughts. She spewed them sarcastically at David.
[She] came out to greet him: "How wonderfully the king has distinguished himself today - exposing himself to the eyes of the servants' maids like some burlesque street dancer!" (2 Samuel 6:20) 
How's that for an encouraging, supportive wife?? Yikes.

Yesterday, Staci wrote about what was going in David's heart at this time. Today I'm wondering what was going on in Michal's heart. Her actions and words reveal a lot.

It's probably not a coincidence that she's described as Saul's daughter, not as David's wife. Her heart was much more like her father's than her husband's - self-centered and all about appearances.

Why was she so offended and embarrassed by David enthusiastically worshiping His God? Because her heart was far from God. It seems to me that she was more concerned about how David looked and less concerned about praising her Father in heaven.

I have to confess that I've had similar internal reactions to others worshiping God, um, a little more exuberantly than I am accustomed to. But as God has drawn me closer to Himself, He's given me a broader perspective on worship and an appreciation of people who worship differently than me.

The most important factor in my reactions has always been where I am with God in the moment. Am I pursuing intimate fellowship with my Father, or am I just going through the motions? Am I focused on my Lord, or am I more worried about what other people see and think of me (or my family)? Am I intent on worshiping God, or am I more concerned with avoiding uncomfortable feelings?

I know that I don't want to be a Michal: critical of those who are sincerely worshiping God, contemptuous of an enthusiastic worship style, and mocking of others who make me feel uncomfortable. And I'm realizing that the power to be that kind of person comes from an undivided, fully surrendered heart for God, from a heart like David's, not Michal's.

3 comments:

Cici said...

The evening was so fun!!! Just what I needed. I got to meet some new blog friends - Troye and Tressa - and hang out with wonderful old friends as well - Staci, Della, Dawn, Stacy, and Amy. Thanks everyone for coming out!

Tressa wins the prize for most dedicated...she drove down from TULSA yesterday!! She surprised Staci at Mozart's, and they'll get to spend today together.

I'll post photos soon, hopefully.

Sarah Evers said...

Amen and Amen...!

I think of Michal and stumble over the word "contempt," for it is powerful. I think contempt springs from an ungrateful heart, a hard heart.

I find the best way to soften a crusty heart is by cultivating gratitude through giving thanks.

Staci said...

Last night was a blast and Tressa's here to keep the party going today. What a fun surprise! (I'll try to upload the pics here in a bit.)

The word contempt is difficult for me because I know I have felt it in my heart and it's ugly and certainly not pleasing to God. It reveals where my heart is - focused on myself, my expectations, my goals.

David's heart is reflected well in 16:8-36. As I personalized that passage and prayed it back to God, I loved the phrase, "revel in his holy Name". Different than fearing His holiness, which is what I usually think of. I need to ponder "reveling" for awhile, seems to be pointing to another aspect of His holiness.