Everything [Hezekiah] took up, whether it had to do with worship in God's Temple or the carrying out of God's Law and Commandments, he did well in a spirit of prayerful worship. He was a great success. (31:21)An incredible revival takes place in Judah and parts of Israel. The Temple is restored. The priests and Levites take up their responsibilities once again. Worship is reinstated. The Passover is celebrated as God commanded. There's joy in Jerusalem unlike anything since the days of Solomon.
And it all begins with Hezekiah's devotion to the Lord. That, in itself, is pretty amazing.
Hezekiah, son of arrogant King Ahaz who unleashed an epidemic of depravity in Judah (28:18), [keeps] to the standards of his ancestor David. (29:2) He is a good king who wants to turn history around so that God will no longer be angry with [the Israelites.] (29:10)
Hezekiah's example shows me that it's the heart that matters most. God can make something beautiful of a life fully devoted to Him, regardless of pedigree. What God is seeking is the heart, a spirit of prayerful worship of the Lord.
God is always on the alert, constantly on the lookout for people who are totally committed to him. (16:9)
"But this is something I'm looking for: a person simple and plain, reverently responsive to what I say." (Isaiah 66:2)So what does reverent responsiveness look like in my life? What might a spirit of prayerful worship look like in me?
I think it begins by desegregating my life, eliminating the divide between my spiritual life and my everyday life. It's all relevant and important to God.
"For the godly person, God is the center and focal point of his or her life. Every circumstance and every activity of life, whether in the temporal or spiritual realms, is viewed through the lens of this God-centeredness. However, such a God-centeredness can be developed only in the context of an ever-growing, intimate relationship with God....A person may be moral and upright, or even busy in Christian service, yet have little or no desire to develop an intimate relationship with God. This is a mark of ungodliness." Jerry Bridges, Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We TolerateIt's also about putting my complete trust in the power of Christ in me because He gives me the strength to accomplish His will. (Phil 4:13) It's remembering that I am weak and Christ is strong, that His grace is sufficient for me. (2 Cor. 12:10) It's abiding in Him and growing my intimate fellowship with Him. (John 15:4-8) It's asking God to reveal my sins and actively confessing them as He does. (Ps. 139:23-24, 1 John 1:9, James 5:16) It's inviting the Spirit of God to be on the throne of my life. (Gal. 5:16, 25) It's cultivating a grateful heart and the habit of thanksgiving in all circumstances. (1 Thess. 5:18) And it's staying in God's Word because His Word is truth. (John 17:17)
But as much as I want to make it a performance, about doing the right things, the reality is that a spirit of prayerful worship is more internal than external. It's about my heart first, not my actions. My actions and speech only reveal what's really going on in my heart.
So it's not about what I do; it's about who I truly am, who I'm trusting, at the heart-level that ultimately determines success or failure in God's eyes. Do I long for an intimate relationship with my Lord, for the things that God longs for? Or am I still looking to make my life work?
Frankly, it depends on the day more than I would care to admit. And unfortunately, today I would have settled for making life work, but I didn't even do that well. Lord, have mercy.
3 comments:
As I'm also trying to focus more on God, please Him more, seek Him more, I loved the imagery of chapter 30.
"Clasp God's outstretched hand....Your God is gracious and kind and won't snub you - come back and he'll welcome you with open arms."
How reassuring to know that as I fumble through my day and struggle with where my heart is focused, that I don't have to convince God to love me or to stay with me or to be kind to me or to want me. His arms are open to me.
Oh wow! Seriously? This reading group is so, so good for my soul! The Biblical readings are good, and so are the meditations which Staci and Cici post. I'm so grateful to be included in this group.
This part really resonated with me this morning: reality is that a spirit of prayerful worship is more internal than external. It's about my heart first, not my actions. My actions and speech only reveal what's really going on in my heart.
Amen to that! Sometimes others tend to know what's happening in my heart before I do, for they HEAR what I say. I don't pay consistent attention to what I say. I can be like a ticking time bomb, emoting all over everyone, maiming them and leaving collateral damage!
Thank you for your mercy Jesus! Thank you for saving me from myself!
Sigh, good stuff.
:) Sarah, I, too, am so blessed by this group of women and blog community!!! No other devotional I know or blog is as real and applicable and personal and God-centered. It's challenging me everyday to get heart deep and intimate with the Word. (Thanks Sarah, if it weren't for you, I wouldn't have found this community to read with!)
*encouraged today by how God hears His people, us! and how in 30:36 there was great joy because since the days of Solomon there had been nothing like this. and then next comes faithfulness. 31:12 faithfully bringing in tithes and gifts, 31:15 faithfully assisting, 31:18 faithfully consecrating themselves and 31:20 doing what was right good and faithful before the Lord His God. what an encouragement to pray for a faithful heart to my faithful Lord. again- thankful for our Savior who has taken all of God's wrath for when we fall short!!! Thanks Jesus!!!!
I'm challenged to continue to lay my life down to surrender my heart and soul, my actions, my thoughts, my all in all. I just finished reading The Heavenly Man, have any of you read it? Wow, we serve an amazing God and I just desire so much to follow Him wholeheartedly. So inspiring and encouraging to me right here and now. In my weaknesses, He shows up. Yesterday was a hard day but I prayed and clung tightly to my God. I was so weak. But even just yesterday I felt like more than a conqueror through Christ :) And he blessed my day more than I could imagine. Just a small example of our very big faithful God. <3 Praying for a faithful cultivated surrendered heart. and radical God-centered communities to spread His name to all the nations.
Thanks for all the truth and scripture today Cici!
Post a Comment