Followers

Monday, May 16, 2011

May 16 - 2 Chronicles 21-24: Struggle to Trust Me

"A passionate love for God and an unswerving commitment to him characterized David's life. With each generation, however, that passion and commitment waned. It dissipated during Solomon's reign and all but disappeared during his son Rehoboam's reign." Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 624.
And the downward slide of Judah continues. We've seen Abijah, Asa, and Jehoshaphat follow God is some areas and disobey him in others. The passionate love and unswerving commitment of David is gone.

In today's reading, we see the result of Jehoshaphat's disobedience. Jehoshaphat made a marriage alliance with King Ahab of Israel. (18:1). The king's son, Jehoram, married Ahab's daughter, Athaliah.

The effects of Jehoshaphat's "little" rebellion against God are far-reaching. Two generations later, Athaliah's son, Ahaziah, becomes king of Judah, and:
God considered [Ahaziah] evil, related by both marriage and sin to the Ahab clan. (22:4)
God's judgment quickly came down on Ahaziah, with his death at the hands of Jehu, King of Israel.
When Ahaziah's mother Athaliah saw that her son was dead, she took over. She began by massacring the entire royal family. (22:10) 
For six years, this descendant of evil King Ahab of Israel sat on the throne of Judah. I doubt that's what Jehoshaphat had in mind when he made a marriage alliance. It was probably the expedient thing to do at the time, rather than trusting God with the situation.

I wonder what I'm doing these days that will reap unintended consequences in the future. What seems expedient to me now? What sin am I ignoring or excusing in my own life that will come back to bite me or the generations to follow? What unholy compromise am I making now that seems necessary, or even wise? Where am I looking out for myself without entrusting my soul to God? (66 LL)

As I understand more of God's Story and how the pieces fit together, I'm becoming more aware of my tendency to avoid suffering and to look out for myself. And that's exactly what God's asking me not to do. It's not about making my life work.
"No matter how great your pain or how confusing and intense your suffering, live in the mystery of My love. Struggle to trust Me. Do not live with the priority of making your life in this world as good as you can make it. You will suffer, at times unfairly, but you will be given what you need to enter strongly and wisely with supernatural love into every circumstance you face, including a beloved child in a wheelchair. Doing so will be your joy, your hope, and your deepest fulfillment now as you look forward to a world where every child laughs and runs." 66 LL
So rather than looking for the easy way out, rather than kidding myself that I can compromise without cost, rather than doing all I can to avoid suffering, I'm asking God to reveal my sin.

Lord, show me the areas where I'm tempted to compromise, where I have compromised. Give me the desire and power to trust You, even as I struggle and fail daily. And help me to be truly heartbroken over my sin.

Give me David's heart,
   the heart of a king,
      valiant in battle,
         sensitive to sin,
            passionate in prayer,
               exuberant in song.
He was a man after your heart, not because he didn't sin,
   but because he was heartbroken over his sin.
Help me be that way, Lord.

(Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 625.)

1 comment:

Sarah Evers said...

Amen. I feel like I'm reawakening to Jesus right now. I have choices to make when it comes to engaging in life or taking the passive route for less trouble or more ease right now.

Those questions you quoted from 66LL are powerful. Because I don't have children now, i seldom think about what I could pass down to the next generation. But I know the power of generational impact. I'm a FOO Fighter (fighting the less-than-perfect from our Families Of Origin in our marriage).

Thanks for continuing to point me to my need for a savior!