Followers

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

May 11 - 2 Chronicles 2-5: Building A House

Why, the skies - the entire cosmos! - can't begin to contain him.  And me, who am I to think I can build a house adequate for God - burning incense is about all I'm good for!  I need your help...  2 Chronicles 2:5-6 (Msg)

God cannot be contained by any house, any planet, any universe. Amazing!  Solomon rightly understood his inadequacies before God.  He needed God's help.  He wrote this psalm about the futility of man's plan and efforts - lessons he must have learned while building the Temple.
A Pilgrim Song of Solomon
If God doesn't build the house, the builders only build shacks.
If God doesn't guard the city, the night watchman might as well nap.
It's useless to rise early and go to bed late, and work your worried fingers to the bone.
Don't you know he enjoys giving rest to those he loves? 
Psalm 127: 1-2 (Msg)
It begs the questions: What "house" am I building? What "city" am I guarding? What am I, in my inadequacies and in futility, worrying about?  It's not about the actual labor or mental effort (those are a given), it's about Who is doing it.  Like Solomon, I must say, "I need Your help, God."

1 comment:

Christina said...

Truth! :)

Everyday I make so many plans but then get anxious about it all and recently it's been time to just inquire of the Lord for each step. On my own, my plans have no purpose or power but with Him- they do. I need Your help, God. I cast my anxieties onto you because You care for me!! 1 Peter 5:7

I love this psalm! Reminds me of Nehemiah also-not building in vain.