Followers

Sunday, April 17, 2011

April 17 - 1 Kings 12-14: The Real Battle

Solomon is buried and God spoke clearly to Jeroboam about what He would do next:
...by order of the God of Israel:  See what I'm doing - I'm ripping the kingdom out of Solomon's hands and giving you ten of the tribes...But I have taken you in hand.  Rule to your heart's content!  You are to be the king of Israel.  If you listen to what I tell you and live the way I show you and do what pleases me, I'll stick with you no matter what.  I'll build you a kingdom as solid as the one I built for David.  Israel will be yours!  1 Kings 11:31 - 38
A rock solid, clearly stated promise from God to Jeroboam with the condition of listening and living the way God shows him that pleases Him.  How often do I think that if I had such direct guidance from God, that I would move forward in bold obedience, come what may.  But, the real battle in Jeroboam's heart wasn't about God speaking clearly or directly enough.  The real battle was his own fears.
But then Jeroboam thought, "It won't be long before the kingdom is reunited  under David. As soon as these people resume worship at The Temple of God in Jerusalem, they'll start thinking of Rehoboam as king...They'll then kill me and go back to King Rehoboam."  (12:26-27)
 Jeroboam kept right on doing evil...At about this time Jeroboam's son Abijah came down sick.  Jeroboam said to his wife, "Do something.  Disguise yourself...and go to Shiloh.  Ahijah the prophet lives there..."  (13:33 - 14:3)
Jeroboam's fears were wrapped around thoughts that completely contradicted God's word to him.  He bowed down to his fears not to his God, and he "led Israel into a life of sin."  Jeroboam "reduced worship to mere convenience" out of fear of his people; obviously not fear of God.  He resorted to deception to save his son (14:1-5) instead of calling on the One who had "raised [him] up from obscurity and made [him] the leader of my people Israel" (14:7).  His heart was ruled by fear not by the desire for personal Holiness.
"...leadership without a priority concern for personal holiness... fails to engage the real battle in the human soul, between losing your life for Me or gaining your life without Me."  (66LL)
I'm speaking to you as dear friends. Don't be bluffed into silence or insincerity by the threats of religious bullies. True, they can kill you, but then what can they do? There's nothing they can do to your soul, your core being. Save your fear for God, who holds your entire life—body and soul—in his hands. Luke 12:4-5 (Msg)
Father, as I face uncertainty in my life and daily fears for my family, my reputation, our finances -- I desperately need your help to save my fears for You.  You are my God who has clearly demonstrated Your love, Your sacrifice, Your promises of security in You alone.  Help me to live and love boldly in the truth, not the deception of my fears.

No comments: