The king said, "And where is your master's grandson?" "He stayed in Jerusalem," said Ziba. "He said, 'This is the day Israel is going to restore my grandfather's kingdom to me.'" "Everything that belonged to Mephibosheth," said the king, "is now yours." (16:3-4)
Next Mephibosheth grandson of Saul arrived from Jerusalem to welcome the king...The king said, "And why didn't you come with me, Mephibosheth?" "My master the king," he said, "my servant betrayed me. I told him to saddle my donkey so I could ride it and go with the king, for, as you know, I am lame. And then he lied to you about me. But my master the king has been like one of God's angels: he knew what was right and did it. Wasn't everyone in my father's house doomed? But you took me in and gave me a place at your table. What more could I ever expect or ask?" "That's enough," said the king. "Say no more. Here's my decision: You and Ziba divide the property between you." (19:24-29)
So who do you believe?? Who's telling the truth?
"David believed Ziba's accusation when he first heard it. But as he listened to Mephibosheth, he knew that both stories couldn't be true. Here the narrative takes us into new territory: David didn't care who was telling the truth. There was no cross-examination, no calling in of witnesses. David accepted both men, Ziba and Mephibosheth, back into his city. His love was large enough to handle faithlessness, lies, and hypocrisy. David didn't insist upon having a "pure church."
This is the characteristic Davidic note, the anticipation of the gospel. David first sought out Mephibosheth from a position of strength. He used his strength to love generously, covenantally, treating Mephibosheth with the same love with which God had saved him.
In this final act of love for Mephibosheth, David was fatigued from battle, having barely survived the worst betrayal of his life. He was grieving the death of his son and abandonment by many of his friends. Now Mephibosheth was standing before him with Ziba's accusation of betrayal hanging over his head. There had been so much treachery in the past few days, so many faithless. Was Mephibosheth one more who had betrayed him? If David had been betrayed by his own son, why wouldn't Mephibosheth, with a legitimate claim to the throne as Saul's grandson, also betray him?
It didn't matter. David didn't have to know. He took Mephibosheth's story at face value and kept faith with him. David in weakness, his kingdom in fragments, was as strong as ever in his commitments. And so every step David took on his return as king was also a step in recovery of the kingdom." Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 475.
Lord, give me courage like David to remain faithful when others are faithless. I honestly don't know how I would have reacted in this situation with Ziba and Mephibosheth. Give me the ability to see past my insecurities, fears, and doubts. I pray for an undivided heart, eyes to see You, and Your wisdom in every situation.
3 comments:
It's a beautiful prayer Cici. Eyes of faith to see like God sees. An undivided heart as we deal with our own "ton of sin" like David in Psa 25:18. I get so bogged down in who is right. In fact, even in a current situation, I have to keep crying out to God for vision to see from His perspective. Here's David in midst of a family mess crying out to God: "When I call, give me answers. God, take my side! Once, in a tight place, you gave me room. Now I'm in trouble again: grace me! hear me!" Psa 4:1Oh! God-of-our-Tight-Places enlarge our hearts to depend on You and to see so much more in our suffering.
In today's reading, I was struck by a few things: 1) how easily people, who had happily welcomed Absalom as king, switched teams - again -to welcome back David. Seemingly bending which ever way the wind blow, out of convenience or feeling or guilt? maybe. 2)How the generational sin met the sons of Rizpah (and others) long after their father, Saul, died. Apparently, they were the score that needed to be settled.
3) A question I have is: Did David hold his wives/concubines responsible for what Absalom did to them? He isolated them and put a guard up, and continued to provide for them. But he never visited them and they died widows and "virtual prisoners". Knowing David to be just and a keeper of covenants, this action left me confused.
Deep Thought:
Today marked Day 100 of our readings....
You're welcome.
Post a Comment