Followers

Monday, March 7, 2011

March 7 - Deuteronomy 24-27: Live the Words, the Words are Life

Moses is coming to the end of God's commands, wrapping up the instructions for holy living.  Only, God doesn't say "good luck" or "let me know how it works out for you."  He exhorts,
...live them out with everything you have in you (26:16)
...give substance to the words of this Revelation by living them (27:26)
The words must have life, be lived out, be given substance, otherwise they are just that -- words.  But, in spite of their vows, "Yes. Absolutely," the Israelites failed to live the words. They had good intentions, but could not follow through.  They had desire, but could not meet God's standard of perfection.  Only one Man could.
The Word was first, the Word present to God, God present to the Word.  The Word was God, in readiness for God from day one....The Word became flesh and blood, and moved into the neighborhood.  John 1:1-2, 14 (Msg)
Jesus became the life of the words, the substance of the revelation that we could not and cannot be.  In Him, the vow is fulfilled.
It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing.  The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.  John 6:63 (Msg)

3 comments:

Stacey said...

I rather liked how these three chapters were laid out, in form; more like poetry and not like a long prose piece.
Did anyone not crack up at "--his name in Israel will be Family-No-Sandal"???!! (Deut 25:10) That made me giggle.

Cici said...

Omigosh, Stacey - it's obvious we're related because I totally cracked up at the Family-No-Sandal thing. I'm thinking, "Wow, what a huge insult - NOT!" :-)

Staci -thanks for the focus on Jesus today. I needed that. It was a weekend of failing miserably so I am grateful for the reminder that I can't meet God's standard of perfection...only Christ can.

What jumped off the pages to me was all the references to orphans. God clearly cares about provision and justice for orphans. As we eagerly await news from the Rwandan government about our adoption application, I'm comforted by knowing that God is watching over our little one. Nothing - and no one - escapes His watchful eye.

Amanda McKinley said...

Y'all are hilarious with your "Family No Sandal" comments. But today, it might be more appropriate to be "Momma with No Flip Flop" or something like that. ha!

Cici, I also took notice of all the references to the orphan, widow and helpless, like not leading a bling man astray or not taking the cloak from a poor neighbor or not using dishonest measures. What that says to me about God's character is that He cares. And not only does He care, He is involved in the details of our lives. He cares for the needy, the helpless, the weak, and the broken. He cares about honest measures. He cares that justice is carried out.

While that can be weighty and scary at one extreme, it is so incredibly freeing on the other extreme. I don't have to control outcomes...because I know He cares.