Followers

Saturday, March 26, 2011

March 26 - Ruth 1-4: Shattered Dreams

I've done a few studies on the book of Ruth and there's so much that God is communicating to us through this story.  Much that I'm still trying to get my head and heart around.  It's difficult condensing it into one post. So, please forgive the length of what I've written today.  This book reveals so much about us and about God and we read it all in one day!

Although the title of the book is Ruth, I actually want to focus on Naomi.  She is the Israelite, the one who suffered so much loss.  And, she is the one that I most identify with in this book.  Here are some highlights from her story:
the woman (Naomi) was left without either her young men or her husband (1:5) 
this is a bitter pill for me to swallow - more bitter for me than for you.  God has dealt me a hard blow (1:13) 
Don't call me Naomi; call me Bitter.  The Strong One has dealt me a bitter blow. I left here full of life, and God has brought me back with nothing...The Strong One ruined me. (1:20-21) 
God hasn't quite walked out on us after all!  He still loves us, in bad times as well as good! (2:20)
The town women said to Naomi, "Blessed be God! He didn't leave you without family to carry on your life. May this baby grow up to be famous in Israel! He'll make you young again!  He'll take care of you in old age...Naomi took the baby and held him in her arms, cuddling him, cooing over him, waiting on him hand and foot. (4:14-16)
Let me share with you a summary of Naomi's life from Crabb's book, Shattered Dreams:
"Naomi, with a good husband and two fine sons, was full of hope when together they left Bethlehem.  The famine there had prompted a move to Moab. Naomi assumed - it was less a dream and more an assumption - that a short stay in Moab would go well, and then, when the rains came, she would return to Bethlehem with her husband, with her two sons, perhaps with a couple of daughters-in-law...
Naomi's husband, Elimelch, passed away shortly after they reached Moab. One dream shattered. But then her two sons met nice girls and married.

Perhaps she thought, as we all do that if the other shoe did not drop, she would be able to get on. If enough blessings come along to enjoy, perhaps we can endure the pain. God knows we couldn't handle one more trial.  And He gave His word we would never be asked to suffer more than we could endure.

Then that becomes our dream - that sufficient blessing would come our way to get us through.

Then the other shoe dropped. Both her sons died...The Lord could have kept them alive; that much we know. But He didn't...

The end of the book...presents Naomi as a content older woman, still a widow, still the mother of two unresurrected sons, but now a woman resting joyfully in the fulfillment of a different dream.  That's how the story ends.

But Naomi was a grandmother alone. No husband, no sons, a daughter-in-law and a son-in-law and a grandson...The Lord did nothing to preserve the dreams of Naomi once thought essential to her happiness.  He did nothing to provide her with the meaningful good time of growing old with a devoted husband, of watching her sons love their wives and mother well, of proudly observing them dotingly father her grandchildren..."  Shattered Dreams, Larry Crabb
What are the necessary lessons "if we are to develop into people with peace and power and unspeakable joy no matter what our circumstances may be, if we are to become the community of the joyful broken who reveal by our lives that the gospel is true."
  1. Shattered dreams are necessary for spiritual growth.
  2. Shattered dreams produce excruciating pain, sometimes so extreme that we fear we cannot survive. ..Something wonderful survives everything terrible, and it surfaces most clearly when we hurt.
  3. Some dreams important to us will shatter, and the realization that God could have fulled that dream pushes us into a terrible battle with Him.
  4. Only an experience of deep pain develops our capacity for recognizing and enjoying true life.
  5. Not many Christians drink deeply from the well of living water. As a result, our worship, our community, and our witness are weak.
  6. No matter what happens in life, a wonderful dream is available, always, that if pursued will generate an unfamiliar, radically new internal experience.  That experience, strange at first, will eventually be recognized as joy. [Shattered Dreams, Crabb]
Just like Naomi, my name could have easily been changed to Bitter.  In fact, I'm sure there were friends around me who would have loved me to move on from my whining about God and my circumstances.  I have faced shattered dreams, beginning at an early age - the death of my younger sister from cancer; the adoption of a younger brother, later discovered to have learning disabilities, mental illness, and now imprisoned; moving to a foreign country from a small town during high school (read:  big fish, small pond to small fish, big pond); giving up a successful career and money for my husband's career and then to raise children; miscarriage; being maligned and falsely accused in church leadership.

We all have shattered dreams.  They are God's terrible and loving hand in our lives to reverse our values, to remove the obstacles to holiness, to real joy, to loving God and others.  If you feel comfortable, share your shattered dreams.

In the midst of our shattering, will we have "bare naked hope" like Naomi?

5 comments:

Cici said...

Thanks, Staci, for that perspective from Ruth. I'm still trying to get my head around all that's in here as well.

I know I have shattered dreams but I'm struggling to put words to them. The truth is that my life has not turned out anything like I thought it would. My dreams included a fabulous career that provided financial security, a sense of significance, and fulfillment of my expectations of achievement. Early on, I had that "fabulous career," and it gave me some financial security but was woefully inadequate in meeting my emotional needs.

Once I turned my life over to the Lord, the whole trajectory of my life changed, along with my values, and now here I am a stay-at-home mom with two littles. That hadn't been in my plans, but I am very grateful for how God has worked in my life.

I know there are other shattered dreams in terms of relationships with extended family, disappointments with significant friendships, and the desire to control all aspects of life.

I think I've worked through the first shattered dream - the course my life has taken - but I'm only beginning to deal with the other ones I mentioned. I think I had lots of unspoken dreams and expectations that I don't fully understand.

From another angle, I found some comments by Eugene Peterson in Conversations very interesting:

"For pastoral work, the most important implication of the book of Ruth is simply its form: it's a story. The story was written by someone immersed in the Sinai covenant traditions who felt the need to provide a similarly compelling account of God's ways in terms of a few people within limited circumstances.

For pastors [and us!] this is important, for it means they have a model for taking each person seriously, however obscure that person may be., how unimportant that person may seem. There are many people in the church who don't find any parallels between their inner life and what is expressed in the worship of the community of faith. Worse, they sometimes feel excluded. Like Naomi, they feel as if God has pronounced an "evil sentence" on them. Or like Ruth, a foreigner, they feel left out of God's designs.

People who have gone unnoticed, or who have been noticed but rejected, listen to the larger story of God's redemption and fail to find their place in it. By beginning with the struggles these unnoticed and rejected people are experiencing - such as the complaints of Naomi and the alienation of Ruth - the short story is able to shape the details of their struggles into a coherent story that can then be seen as an aspect of a larger story. When we see the struggles of our own short stories within the context of a larger, grander story, it gives those struggles not only dimension but dignity."

I've never thought about the book of Ruth in these terms before, so I thought I'd share what I read.

I hope y'all have a great weekend and get to enjoy the beginning of spring - at least here in Austin. I've been loving the weather this week!

Della Perry said...

I just left a long post on yesterday's post, so I don't have it in me yet to dive into my shattered dreams (shucks! ;)), but I don't remember noticing before that Ruth starts with, "Once upon a time..." Just wanted to quickly check, do we know if it's a true story or a parable?

Staci said...

Good question Della. My understanding is Ruth is a real person and this is a true story. The main indicator is the genealogy at end of book linking to the genealogy of Christ.

Sorry for the brief response...typing on phone while sitting at soccer game!

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Staci, your post is beautiful to me. I printed it out to keep it. You are authentic, passionate, full of courage! My hope has no clothes on. Woke up in tears in a funk & will trust Him here. "My heart has carried me away" Job 15:12. The Strong One is ruining me for good not harm. Way-too-much I surrender to sophomoric thinking that "enough blessings can help me endure the pain" I am in. Waiting for that wonderful available dream of recognizing joy. Living in Shattering Dreams but reticient to post for fear of judgment/fear my trials are small compared to yours. Don't want to live waiting for other shoe to drop. My past shattered dreams: rape, sexual abuse, family violence, mental illness, turned to drugs/drinking for a decade, lost 6 babies, lost our church job & friends of 27 years, lost last church job. Cancer. Lost insurance this week cause of cancer. No money for meds. Living w/friends for short while. Not where I expected to end up in life. No jobs on the horizon. This post was so from God to me. With tears running down, I put my hand to the plow and blindly nakedly trust a Good God I cannot see. Thank you for truth, for bringing us to Him. I'll say it: Need Jobs! Need Prayers!
Seeking God's Favor~Turning from sin~Giving Attention to Truth~Dan. 9:13!

Christina said...

Wow. I never thought I'd learn this much from Ruth. I've never thought about Naomi's shattered dreams and our shattered dreams. Staci, Cici and Bev, thanks for your vulnerability and openness. This reminds me that God is a good God and He is for us. Ps 56. It also reminds me that I will have shattered dreams along the way on this walk, and that I'm not done trying to dream of things going my way-making my own plan. I'm encouraged to look for ways to continue to surrender my dreams to the Lord, but I get scared sometimes. The future-what's next is such a mystery to me today. But I will start to pray now about walking closely with the Lord for a lifetime in the midst of fulfilled dreams He desires for me and also shattered dreams. I will start to pray today for the strength, love and faithfulness to cling to my Father for everything. To make Him my everything.

Why would our love letter story go from Judges to Ruth? Judges was just so crazy. I can't believe these things happened, I can't believe how these people cried out to God, then turned away again and agan. Just like I do. But like Della, I am resting today in being made NEW! More thankful today than yesterday... 2Cor5:17 The old has gone! Although I really agree in seeing more of who I am in sin, my flesh, by seeing this icky sin all over these stories, these real stories. I go crazy in the margins of my Bible.

And Della, I'll be praying for you and your friend you are walking alongside right now. He is faithful and He has unfailing love for you and your friend! I trust in God's unfailing love for ever and ever. Psalms 77:8.