Followers

Thursday, March 10, 2011

March 10 - Deuteronomy 32-34: Cultivate God-Confidence

The final chapters of Deuteronomy mark the end of an era. Moses teaches the Israelites a song, blesses them, and then dies in the land of Moab where God buried him. After 40 years of wandering, the People of Israel will have a new leader, Joshua, but there will never be another prophet like Moses, whom God knew face-to-face. (34:10)
"By all human accounting, [Moses] died a failure. He even died knowing that he was a failure, knowing that everything he had worked for in leading, training, and praying for this community would unravel as soon as the people entered Canaan.
It's a familiar story for readers of Scripture, though frequently suppressed. What does it mean? It means that we have to revise our ideas of the holy community to conform to what is revealed in Scripture. It means that we cannot impose our Pollyanna visions of hanging out with lovely, upbeat, beautiful people when we enter a Christian congregation. It means that God's way of working with us in community has virtually nothing to do with the world's idea of getting things done, or of what "works" and what doesn't. It means that God hasn't changed his method of choosing "the lowly things of this world and the despised" to form his community (1 Corinthians 1:28). It means that we who want to get in on what God is doing and the way God is doing it will have to give up pretensions of shaping a community that the world will think is wonderful."  Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 305
I confess that I have been disappointed by church and church people, in large and small ways. Rather than recognizing that church is the place for people to work out their salvation - and all of the junk that goes along with it - I've wanted to walk away and find strangers to worship with, people whose sin I wasn't so intimately acquainted with. Or, I've gotten irritated and just wanted people to get their acts together. A lot of it has to do with my own selfishness, not wanting other peoples' problems to have such a big impact on me, or at least to have some (perceived) parity in our messiness.

I've bought into our culture's belief (including much of the church culture) that followers of Christ should look pretty good. At times, I've felt reluctant to tell my "church friends" what's really going on in my life, for fear of what they'll think of me. In fact, it's often easier to tell my unbelieving friends the truth about the sin in my life. At least they won't judge me or throw verses at me (pet peeve).

But the more I understand of Scripture, I see that failure is both inevitable and the path to real freedom. When I give up the idea that I have the power to behave properly or obey God or love others well, only then do I truly experience my need for a savior. That's when I know with all my heart that I can't do this life on my own. I need Jesus.

So as we're on the brink of the Israelites entering the Promised Land, knowing that they're going to fail, listen to the words of Paul in his first letter to the church at Corinth, as he warns them (and us) of the purpose of understanding the history of the People of God:
These are all warning markers - DANGER! - in our history books, written down that we don't repeat their mistakes. Our positions in the story are parallel - they at the beginning, we at the end - and we are just as capable of messing up as they were. Don't be so naive and self-confident. You're not exempt. You could fall flat on your face as easily as anyone else. Forget about self-confidence; it's useless. Cultivate God-confidence. 1 Corinthians 10:11-12
*******************************************
Goodbye, Moses and Deuteronomy. And with that, we're also transitioning from the Books of Moses to the History Books (Joshua - Esther).

Eugene Peterson's commentary in The Message - Introduction was helpful in understanding the significance of what we've just completed:
"The Books of Moses are foundational to the sixty-one books that follow in our Bibles. A foundation, though, is not a complete building but the anticipation of one. An elaborate moral infrastructure is provided here for what is yet to come. Each book that follows, in one way or another, picks up and develops some aspect of the messianic salvation involved in becoming the People of God, but it is always on this foundation. This foundation of stories and signposts has proved over and over to be solid and enduring."
So what about you? What is sticking with you from Deuteronomy or the Books of Moses? We'd love to hear what God is doing in your heart through His Word. 

8 comments:

Lisa said...

In Deuteronomy, I remain thinking about the holiness of God. I used to think far more about His grace and love. I'm changed by this.

I also feel a little sad knowing the outcome of His people and what will happen in the upcoming books.

I apologize for being short here but only can take a few minutes. Thanks Cici and Staci for giving so much more.

Cici said...

I didn't get a chance to comment yesterday, but I also appreciated Stacey's comments about the ministry application. I hadn't thought about that angle, so that was really helpful!

A few things stand out to me from Deuteronomy:
1) Moses' repeated warning to be vigilant about my relationship with the Lord and not let down my guard. I need to remember that.

2) Deut. 7:7 - God wasn't attracted to you and didn't choose you because you were big and important - the fact is, there was almost nothing to you. He did it out of sheer love, keeping the promise he made to your ancestors.

3) A passage from 66 LL is really speaking to me because it's what we're experiencing right now as we wait for God to provide on a number of fronts, including finances and the adoption. "Love has no meaning unless it remains alive when the one you claim to love seems distant and unresponsive. If you love Me only when I immediately satisfy your desires, your love is merely one more form of self-centeredness. Your love becomes trust only when you choose to believe that I brought you out of something bad to bring you into something good before you experience that something good. Then your love is sustained by confidence in My character, not by enjoyment of current blessings."

I've really enjoyed these months of reading together! Every comment has enriched my understanding of Scripture and made the experience much more interesting. Thanks for being a part of this! I look forward to what you have to say each and every day.

Love,
Cici

Stacey said...

Hmmm...Deuteronomy....there are a few things that will stick with me from this book.
First, God, my God, calls me to holy living; to be set apart. Right now, we're doing a Crazy Love study with our small group and one of the questions that hit me was, "How do you look any different from your nonChristian friends/neighbors?" Whoa. Our lives should look different!

Secondly, ministry is not about outcomes; it's about meeting with God, knowing Him, and obeying Him. Responses by others or outcomes are not ours.

Thirdly, it amazes me how much God still pursues and goes after people who leave Him. The Israelites wouldn't even wait that long after deliverance to start pursuing false gods; and yet God still addressed their sin, gave them His wisdom, through Moses, and kept on setting up and blessing them with the Promis Land. I am oh, so thankful for His relentless love!

Thanks, Cici and Staci for you posts, your insights, and your commitment to this journey!

Amy Chambers said...

Gosh I have so many thoughts right now...one of the biggest things that is sticking with me from Deuteronomy is still God's basic command. Love Me! I am your God, THE God...nothing is more important than loving ME. Worship, listen, OBEY. I'm trying to wrap my head around HIS Holiness...taking time to truly be in AWE of Him. It's so easy for me to let the prayer, "please reveal Your will to me so that I can make it my will." But if I don't have step one totally down...that God is I AM, the Almighty, the Creator, then I won't "get" His will and how I fit into it. I want my daily life, my daily grind, to please Him, serve Him, and glorify Him.

Hmmm...I don't feel like I've explained myself very well...

I don't blog much but I have REALLY enjoyed and been challenged by this Bible study. Cici and Staci...thank you so much. And ladies who take the time to post...thank you too.

Cici said...

Yay, Amy Chambers! I'm glad to see you on here. It's hard to tell whose still reading along unless we see comments or talk to someone in person. I love how God is revealing Himself to you!

Amanda McKinley said...

Wow...there was so much to glean from Deuteronomy and I know I missed a lot. This is why I need to go through this EVERY year so I can remember...

Speaking of remember, that's the first lesson that kept coming up for me from Deuteronomy. The Israelites were called to REMEMBER. To cling to the fact that God brought them out of a land of slavery and promised to lead them into the Promised Land. They had to look back, to look forward. And that's what we are called to do - REMEMBER the truths and promises in God's word. Look at the lives of the Israelites, of people like Moses, and remember how God was faithful to them, even when they were not. Then we can look forward, clinging to that knowledge, that God will be faithful to us.

There is so much more to say...but I will stop with that lesson, since that was the biggest one for me: REMEMBER who God is, and who we are, in light of that. That knowledge equips me to handle life's little difficulties with a deep trust in our God!

Della Perry said...

I'll just share something from today that I loved: Deuteronomy 32:2 MSG

"My teaching, let it fall like a gentle rain,

my words arrive like morning dew,

Like a sprinkling rain on new grass,

like spring showers on the garden."

I love rain. LOVE rain. But in Austin, we typically get thunderstorms, which are cool too, but they aren't that slow, constant, soothing, gentle rain that I really love. God says His teaching is like that. Cleansing, rejuvenating, calming, nourishing. His teachings are not like thunderstorms where I allow myself to feel condemned, oppressed, and guilty rather than challenged, comforted, and encouraged. That's my God!
Lord, let it rain!

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

I am so challenged and touched in deep places in my heart by your posts every day. What's been stirring in my head is the whole "holiness" issues. C.S. Lewis wrote: "No man knows how bad he is until he has tried very hard to be good." Have thought about Romans 7 so much through Deut...about trying to live a good life yet filled on the inside with cruel thoughts and comparisons and not sure of myself and am I good enough. Can't deal w/self-obsession by trying to be good. Wretched man I am! Rescued. Saved. Safe. Loved. And here's Moses...entering a Rest he knows not...not frenetic but falling forward in faith. Little more in Love with the God we all Adore!