Followers

Monday, February 21, 2011

February 21 - Numbers 23-25: He Sees Nothing Wrong

I am fascinated by what God says through Balaam about the Israelites:
He has no bone to pick with Jacob, he sees nothing wrong with Israel. God is with them, and they're with him, shouting praises to their King. Numbers 23:21
We know that God has been ready to take out the Israelites because of their rebellion.  We know that He has seen every wayward act, known every selfish thought.  So, how can God say this about this grumbling, complaining people?
"There was sin in Jacob, and God saw it; but there was not such as might provoke him to give them up to ruin. If the Lord sees that we trust in his mercy, and accept of his salvation; that we indulge no secret lust, and continue not in rebellion, but endeavour to serve and glorify him; we may be sure that he looks upon us as accepted in Christ, that our sins are all pardoned. Oh the wonders of providence and grace, the wonders of redeeming love, of pardoning mercy, of the new-creating Spirit!" (Matthew Henry)
It's not about the Israelites.  Just like it's not about us.  It's about God's vision, what He sees in us, what He has provided for us in Christ:
...can you imagine the breathtaking recovery life makes, sovereign life, in those who grasp with both hands this wildly extravagant life-gift, this grand setting-everything-right, that the one man Jesus Christ provides?  Here it is in a nutshell: just as one person [Adam] did it wrong and got us in all this trouble with sin and death, another person did it right and got us out of it.  But more than just getting us out of trouble, he got us into life!  Romans 5:17 - 18 (Msg)
So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. Galatians 3:26-27 (NIV)
We are clothed with Christ.  Just as God did not choose to give up on Israel because of their sin, He has chosen not to deal with us as our sins deserve, but to see us wrapped up in the righteousness of Christ.

5 comments:

Cici said...

I was surprised by Balaam's comment as well. Thanks for that explanation, Staci.

The story of Balaam has always been a little confusing to me. Is he a good guy? Is he a bad guy? He hears from God, and he refuses to curse the Israelites, but he seems like a prophet-for-hire.

A couple of notes from Eugene Peterson in my Bible helped this morning:

"The story is a warning against religious eloquence, both our own or someone else's. Balaam had a great reputation as a man of God. He was both knowledgeable and eloquent. But it was all show. His oratory was al in his mouth, not in his heart. He had nothing inside. He was undoubtedly talented; he made a fine impression, but there was no substance to him. He was a hollow man. What he really wanted to do was please whoever was paying him, or admiring him. Balaam said all the right things, but he did all the wrong things. If you take only what Balaam said, he sounds like one of the great men of God: prophetic, poetic, sincere. But his life was all greed, ambition, and selfish gain. It's one of the easiest styles for Christians to pick up - this learning to sound righteous, then letting appearance substitute for a life of obedience to God."

This certainly helps put a few things in perspective for me today!

Stacey said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing the note, Cici. As we're in the middle of a "Crazy Love" study, the description of the Christian who wants to sound righteous and look good seems to fall into that "Lukewarm believer" category. Definitely not where I want to be.
Thanks for the posts, Staci and Cici! I'm getting so much out of reading them after the readings.

Amy Allert said...

Wow, indeed, Cici!
That EP quote is epic...lots to think and pray about there. I often ask myself the question, "How am I like this?" or "How is this true of me?" when I read examples in scripture...I have never done that regarding Balaam before!
Thanks for sharing that...I fear I am more like Balaam than I ever suspected. Thanks for the opportunity to check my heart today and see if God will show me how I am like Balaam...and be changed because of it.

Tressa said...

I had some of the same thoughts and questions as you did. But to add a bit of an "extra" I also thought about Phinehas and his zeal for the Lord. Not that I want to go out and spear someone for their sin...but I was challenged to be more zealous for God. Do I stand up for the TRUTH of God's word or do i tolerate the sin around me and the "accepted" way of our world? Praying for more zeal and boldness ! May I be offended by what offends God and proclaim His truth regardless of what I fear. May I fear only God!

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Numbers 22:32 "Your path is a reckless one before Me." I remember where I was standing 5 years ago when I read these chapters and God grabbed hold of me. Like Balaam, I said: I didn't realize it was You, my God, standing in my road to oppose me. You see, I had a pretty charmed Christian life with a lot of followers of my leadership. But I cared way too much about appearance of ministry and leaving a legacy. Very grateful for a God Who stands in our way and opens our eyes, Numb 22:31, to see Him in what we are doing.