With that Moses raised his arm and slammed his staff against the rock - once, twice. Numbers 20:11This one brash act, completely understandable from a human point of view, was seen very differently by God. He didn't see Moses' arm-raising and slamming as simply an emotional outburst. It was a lack of holy reverence. A frontal attack on God.
Because you didn't trust me, didn't treat me with holy reverence in front of the People of Israel, you two aren't going to lead this company into the land that I am giving them. Number 20:12No Promised Land. It's done. The goal has been missed, removed.
Trust Me. Quietly and humbly believe that He is who He says He is and that He'll do what He says He'll do and that we are who He says we are. Yet, how much more often do I want the dramatic moment, the grand gesture that seems more real, more authentic than a silent act of obedience in my very ordinary life.
2 comments:
I remember the first time I read about this incident with Moses. It was in the NIV and I completely missed why God was so mad at Moses. I'm like, "What did he do?? Why can't he enter the Promised Land?? What just happened??" Thankfully, it's a lot more obvious in The Message version. haha
But it is funny. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal on the surface. He hit the rock with his staff rather than just speaking to the rock and claimed credit for bringing water from the rock. Once again, I realize that I need to see things through God's eyes rather than mine - that any rebellion is a big deal, that He's serious about His holiness and our obedience. He won't share His Glory with anyone, and there are consequences for disobedience.
Agree with both of you...but here is what stood out to me in todays reading. 18:20 God said to Aaron "You wont get any inheritance in land, not so much as a plot of ground..." as i was reading i thought to myself, 'come on, quit being so rough on these guys'and then God continues "...I am your plot of ground, I am your inheritance among the People of Israel."
This has glimmers of new testament to me, God wants me to plant my feet firmly in Him and know He is the goal, the inheritance. Any ground or inheritance here on earth pales in comparison greatly to God!
This verse almost puts a nice bow on Exodus and numbers for me, ties all these rules and laws together with a purpose, God!
Post a Comment