Followers

Monday, February 14, 2011

February 14 - Numbers 7: Choosing to Live Under Authority

Twelve leaders - Nahshon, Nethanel, Eliab, Elizur, Shelumiel, Eliasaph, Elishama, Gamaliel, Abidan, Ahiezer, Pagiel, and Ahira - presented dedication offerings on behalf of their tribes, as God had instructed Moses.

Each of these men led tribes of tens of thousands of people so they must have been very capable leaders. I wonder if any of these guys thought they knew more than Moses. I wonder if they harbored any jealousy toward him. Were they excited about the journey to the Promised Land? Were they fearful or apprehensive or impatient to get going? Did they have any competing ambitions of their own?

I don't know the answers to those questions, but in this chapter, I just see leaders who put themselves under God's authority and under the authority of the man God had put over them. They believed that God was speaking through Moses, so they obeyed him.

Was it because they'd seen the miracles God had performed through Moses? Did they remember Moses' radiant face after he'd been with God on Mount Sinai? Was it because they'd seen the Pillar of Cloud and Pillar of Fire and eaten the manna?

I don't know their reasons. I just see what these twelve men do here. They chose to submit to Moses' leadership and to obey God's instructions through their leader. They presented their offerings to God to dedicate the Altar according to instructions from Moses.

It makes me think about how I'm doing in submitting to my leaders. Am I choosing to put myself under God's authority everyday, or do I stubbornly demand to do life my way? Do I allow others to lead me and correct me, especially when I know God has put them over me?

I've always been a capable leader so my own pride and obstinance have gotten the best of me many times. Let's just say it hasn't been a stellar week in this area so it's helpful for me to see these capable leaders demonstrate such humility and live under authority.

3 comments:

DawnD said...

For some reason I read this chapter with the 12 Days of Christmas melody in my head…

Cici, I appreciate that you brought out the obeying leader’s authority context because I realized I was reading it and questioning the practicalities of all this loot and what were Moses and Aaron and all the tent people going to do with it.

It is rare that I would ever do something I was told to do without challenging it if there were not a compelling reason to do it. And this is clearly what God has been doing with the Israelites….(well, God has communicated the compelling reason but it still seems a bit crazy and impractical). Good reminder about authority and following leaders.

Staci said...

Great insight, Cici. It didn't cross my mind about what the 12 tribal leaders were thinking. This just seemed like a ledger to me - recording the physical acts of obedience. Copy, paste. Copy, paste...

A question that crossed my mind was why was it important to record every detail, not just say "ditto". God brought to mind my girls - I don't say "I love you" and ditto to you and you as well. And I try not to forget that each one needs well-timed instruction in how to do chores, use their manners, relate well to their friends - it's not just one conversation with the oldest that then trickles down to the youngest!

So, I was reading the repetition as God placing importance on each and every leader and tribe. No person or gift greater than the other.

Tressa said...

You girls are great! And CiCi your insight did help me to think of application to my own daily life. I felt like Staci... copy - paste, copy paste. I kept looking for someone to bring something different so I could analyze why they did that or thinking perhaps someone is going to mess this up. But then the finale' and amazingly 12 Silver Plates, 12 Bowls etc. Made me reflect on Isaacs 12 sons and the 12 tribes. God is consistent !