"My people presumed that careful planning, good organization, and the symbol of My Presence (remember the ark of the covenant?) would guarantee good things. They never looked deep enough inside to see what was terribly wrong in their own hearts. Presumption that everything that looks okay on the surface is okay blinds you to your real problem." (66LL, 16)Numbers chapters 1 and 2 seem fairly benign - a good, successful start. Everything looks okay on the surface. Everyone accounted for in just the way God commanded (1:54). Everyone camping where they should be (2:34). Anyone who's taking a girl scout, cub scout or youth camping trip with just a few dozen kids knows that accomplishing just these two things should make you feel pretty good.
It's actually hard reading these first chapters when we know the end of the story. Things look good right here at the beginning and there's a presumed promise that the journey will be easy because they have obeyed perfectly so far. But, we know the ending: all but two of those 600,000 men never make it to the Promised Land.
Most of them were defeated by temptation during the hard times in the desert, and God was not pleased. The same thing could happen to us. We must be on guard so that we never get caught up in wanting our own way as they did...Don't be so naive and self-confident. You're not exempt. You could fall flat on your face as easily as anyone else. Forget about self-confidence; it's useless. Cultivate God-confidence. 1 Corinthians 1:5-6, 12 (Msg)The temptation is for me to stop at telling my daughter that she's beautiful, talented, and smart and she should be confident in all these things. (Which I did tell her because it's all true!) But, the more important part of the discussion was that who she is in Christ is His perfectly loved and accepted daughter that He's working hard to make holy and she's feeling the pain. This is true, no matter what she feels from her friends or assumes about her parents or how she performs or if she experiences some terrible, disfiguring, life-altering accident. She can always be God-confident and not miss the Promised Land.
4 comments:
Ah,Staci, well said. You're right. Only 2 make it to the Promised Land. Sobering to remember.
As i read the first two chapters i kept wondering what it would be like to travel with that many people. I tried to think of an equivalent I could wrap my mind around.
I went to Penn State, and the tribe of Gad is about the same size, or rather, that tribe counted that many men over age 20! Penn Staters are feircely loyal, eager to prove their love fro their Alma Mater, singing fight songs, and roaring like Nittany Lions.
I can't imagine the fierce family loyalties, the competition to create a family identity. If the original brothers fought and quarreled about who is the greatest, then i can only imagine the same thing happening amongst more than half a million people who WANDERED (perhaps aimlessly?) in the dessert!
Imagine camps of fierce college rivals. Was the camp site like that?
(I could be COMPLETELY wrong with this comparison)
Could it have been like tailgating on game day??
I was thinking logistics as well. How in the world could all of these people march and camp in an orderly fashion??? I don't like the hassle of large crowds or camping so this whole thing sounds awful to me. haha
Staci - I liked your adolescence take on this. I can relate to feeling the pain of God trying to make me holy.
Love it, Sarah! (My husband just returned from a week-long trip to PennState and learned more school history than he'll ever need! LOL)Every tribe would be fiercely believing that they're right and they've "got it". I think of even groups of people in a good-sized congregation of believers; each knows the "best" way to worship and are sure they're on the narrow road. Consider denominations who are "it's us and our way". Talk about pride; we think we have it just as all the Israelites did - and only 2 made it!
My heart wanted to wilt when I read "My people presumed that careful planning, good organization, and the symbol of My Presence would guarantee good things. They never looked deep enough inside to see what was terribly wrong in their own hearts. Presumption that everything that looks okay on the surface is okay blinds you to your real problem." Wow. I want to have it organized, have the behavior of the little ones under control, and be that smiling Christian wife and mother. I totally want to look it on the outside and feel it on the inside; then I feel like "I've arrived." What a dumb presumption! I'm a wanderer! I don't think planning is a bad thing; just what we attach to it.
It's a really hard pill to swallow that the right way is the hard and uncomfortable way; that we've got it all wrong as Christians in the United States. Comfort and convenience aren't the enemy; I guess they just often keep us wandering.
Needless to say, so much to think about for the rest of this day. Thanks, Staci, for sharing a real-time application and illustration with all of us today!
Post a Comment