- God describes a "festival celebration" that will serve as a sign and memorial to the Israelites of what He's done. (I love to plan celebrations, so it's really fun that God likes this, too!)
- God leads the Israelites out of Egypt, but not "by the road...which was the shortest route".... but "looping around". (And I thought my husband's driving drove me crazy!)
- God is present in a Pillar of Cloud by day and a Pillar of Fire by night.
- The Egyptians are chasing after the Israelites and they're terrified. Moses says, "Stand firm and watch God do his work of salvation for you today." And oh, by the way, "keep your mouths shut!"
- God splits the sea and His glory is on display.
- The Israelites sing praises to God of His Strength, His Song, His Salvation.
Apparently, the "powerful hand of God " forgot to pack water bottles, according to the Israelites. This is "where he started testing them" (Exodus 15:26): over the basic need for water.
"God takes everyone he loves through a desert. It is his cure for our wandering hearts...Here's how it works. The first thing that happens is we slowly give up the fight. Our wills are broken by the reality of our circumstances. The things that brought us life gradually die.Where am I today? Am I singing God's praises or complaining about my thirst to the source of Living Water (John 4)? Am I looking back at what God has led me through, knowing that today He is the same Strong God with the powerful hand? Or have I plopped myself down in the desert having a pity party, focusing on how much I really want a shaken iced tea from Starbucks (with extra ice)?
"...Desert life sanctifies you. You have no idea you are changing. You simply notice after you've been in the desert awhile that you are different. Things that used to be important no longer matter.
"After awhile you notice your real thirsts...'O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.'" (Psalm 63:1) Paul E. Miller, A Praying Life
7 comments:
I don't think that I'm brazen enough to complain directly to God and blame Him for my problems. But I certainly do whine and complain to others.
I've been in a funk the past few days, wondering if THIS is all there is to life - doing laundry, cleaning up toys, changing diapers, correcting little children, feeding meals and snacks ENDLESSLY, and reading the same book over and over and over again. I'm not sure how or why I got on this train of thought, but there are days that this feels like my desert.
I love my kids, and they give me plenty of joy. And I'm confident that this is what God has for me right now. But it is hard for me because I had a satisfying life pre-kids. Satisfying in large part because I could do whatever I wanted! Yes, in some ways this is my desert where God is dealing with my selfishness, my demand for things my way, my independence, and all of my other unholy desires.
May I not be the one who complains about Your incredible blessings. May I focus on You alone today, Lord, recognizing Your powerful hand and Your Glory on display. I pray that You would change me on the inside.
For me, I'm looking at this reading and asking myself "what do I know about Him" after reading this? I desire my focus to be "Knowing Him More" through this year. So much in this reading to contemplate. Here's my own reflections and questions to me:
1. Why did He want to redeem the first born as His own? What did this mean? I need to study further here.
2. God causes one to be stubborn or not....Lord,would you please change my Dad's heart?
3. God is present with them in the cloud of fire/light
4. God gave them an angel to lead/protect?
5. God wanted the Egyptians to know Him...that He is the one true God. Why? Because He loved them? God is love right?
6. God is faithful...lean not on my own understanding. His timing and ways are not my own. Remember this...the Israelites struggled with this..Help me to remember.
God wanted us to remember what He did for them...He knew we would easily forget so he gave us a celebration as a time to remember.
I think there is more for me to remember...I already need to go back and read it again.
6. Oh, God waited three days before he gave them water. Why? To keep them relying on Him? He is the provider. What a reoccuring theme. He desires my heart to fully rely on Him and to change it to be more like Christ.
Maybe I will try later to go back and read again as I know there is more to Know about Him..kids to feed and coffee to guzzle for now. I love you God and help me to do this today.
Ah, the Israelites. This is about to get personal!
1. Pillar of cloud by day, pillar of fire by night. God is so kind and merciful. In a desert, a cloud will give protection from the burning sun. At night, a fire gives warmth. Plus, everyone can see these reminders of God's leadership.
2. I think I will start counting how many times the word "complain" is used. I bet it is a lot!
3. In chapter 14, BEFORE they crossed the Red Sea, the Israelites are already wishing they were back in Egypt (fun word to write in cursive). This is going to be a long journey.
4. but the people you redeemed, you led in merciful love. (15.12-13) This is beautiful!
5. I keep thinking of the song Take My Hand by the kry. Here's verse 2 + chorus:
Don't live in the past
'cause yesterday's gone
Wishing memories would last
You're afraid to carry on
You don't know what's coming
But you know the One who holds tomorrow
I will be your guide
Take you througgh the night
If you keep your eyes on Me
Take my hand and walk where i lead
Keep your eyes on me alone
Don't you say, "why were the old days better?"
Just because your scared of the unknown
Take my hand and walk
I see so much of myself in the Israelites. Despite seeing God's power on display in MIGHTY ways just a few days before (splitting the sea in half, hellooooooo?!?! Surely we can trust this powerful God!), they start complaining when they don't have water to drink.
And part of me feels for them. Three days, Lord, really? I would be pretty fussy and starting to panic myself. And unlike Cici, I am not afraid to get mad directly at God and blame Him for my discomforts (I wish I was less brazen, like you, Cici!), but I tend to just pour out all my complaints to him when I don't have water to drink for 3 days.
It's a scary thought to be "tested" by God. I am afraid of failing. I am afraid of pain. I am afraid of discomfort. But I have to remember, this is the same God who led the Israelites out of Egypt, who sent His Son to die in our place, who created us in His image. He loves us, He cares for us, I can trust Him.
So when that testing comes (when doesn't it, it seems these days!), I pray that my response would be humble submission, saying "Not my will, but YOUR will be done, Lord!"
Genesis 13:17 Egypt to Canaan.
Straight-shot Shortest Route: 220 miles.
Looping Longer route: 40 years. Again, God leads and leaves his beloved in the wilderness not rescued from their problems. I'm loving all your blog comments that fall on ears of someone over here desperate in my own wilderness that I've created. Been a difficult day for me but it's been a difficult week, difficult month, difficult year, difficult life. Okay, so I'm laughing at myself now! Takes a lot for a Good God to get through my flesh! He is!
God has been doing something very uncomfortable to me lately : calling me away fro places. Not telling me the whole picture. Just tellingg me the next step to take. I can relate to re Israelites whining, wanting to know the whole story, being afraid of the unknown. But God didn't show them the whole path in fronth of them. He gave them "Exodus 13:21 MSG
God went ahead of them in a Pillar of Cloud during the day to guide them on the way, and at night in a Pillar of Fire to give them light; thus they could travel both day and night." Just enough for the next step. Not necessarily sight for the whole journey. His Word is a lamp for my feet and a light for my path. Next step, not over the hills and far ahead.
Staci, wow, what excellent "food for thought" you gave today with our Exodus reading. Especially your closing questions to probe my heart and apply what I've just read. By the way.... sounds like I need to try the iced tea from Starbucks (& with extra ice of course). Thanks! I think I'll have some "Praise" time before going to bed. We do serve an awesome God !
Post a Comment