What kind of God delays reward for an obedient servant? What kind of God hardens Pharaoh's heart (Exo. 4:21; 9:12; 11:10)?
These questions reveal where my eyes are focused. I'm looking for favorable results that immediately validate and reward my obedience. When I serve my husband and relate to him well, I want a peaceful, romantic marriage. When I teach my girls God's Word and pray with them every night, I want guarantees that they'll follow God wholeheartedly all of their lives. When I read my Bible daily, journal and pray, I want to emotionally experience His presence and to be clearly guided. When I disciple others, I would like gratitude, encouragement, and a satisfying feeling about the investment of my time. When I give sacrificially, I want to be blessed and not struggle financially. I might not express these demands out loud, but functionally, it's often how I can think and live. And I know that these aren't God's purposes for life. His way draws me to Him, not to results.
"So let's keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision -- you'll see it yet! Now that we're on the right track, let's stay on it.
Stick with me, friends. Keep track of those you see running this same course, headed for this same goal. There are many out there taking other paths, choosing other goals, and trying to get you to go along with them...All they want is easy street. They hate Christ's Cross. But easy street is a dead-end street. Those who live there make their bellies their gods; belches are their praise; all they can think of is their appetites.
But there's far more to life for us. We're citizens of high heaven! We're waiting the arrival of the Savior, the Master, Jesus Christ, who will transform our earthly bodies into glorious bodies like his own. He'll make us beautiful and whole with the same powerful skill by which he is putting everything as it should be, under and around him." Philippians 3:15-21 (Msg)Glad to be running this course, headed for the same goal with you as we seek the God who is putting everything as it should be.
3 comments:
Staci,
Your description of how you'd like things to run in your life hit a bit too close to home for me. I find that when I don't get the "right" response I'm looking for, I immediately go to, "What did I do wrong??" instead of "that response is in God's hands - not mine". It's a great reminder that our job is to obey. If I can get that down well, I will have run a great race!
Praise our God who doesn't exclusively use great orators or dignitaries or kings or queens to speak for Him. He uses His people - whomever and wherever. And I definitely want to be counted as His!
Total conviction. I often demand my reward, my results now. Internally of course. (That is, after all, how polite women operate, right?? haha)
I do want everything that God has for me. But it is hard when I see others choosing other goals, taking other paths, that SEEM easier and with more immediate rewards. A focus on results rather than relationships. Pressure to perform rather than trusting God. Subtle messages that God has to come through for me NOW. It's even harder for me when that becomes the accepted norm in our Christian circles. I pray that I don't fall into that pattern of thought as well.
I am hopeful that God is transforming my mind and my way of seeing His world, that he is making me beautiful and whole, that he is putting everything as it should be.
Check out this awesome video for a visual proof of God's existence:
http://www.andiesisle.com/creation/magnificent.html
Post a Comment